cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

mike m.10
New member | Level 1

I really, really dislike the Dropbox PDF preview functionality. It served my needs much better to have the PDF I click on in Dropbox open directly in Acrobat Reader. Is there a way to switch the PDF preview off? If not, I strongly request that become a future option. PDF preview in dropbox may be great for some users, but for me, it's terrible. Thanks.

56 Replies 56

310EI
Super User

Hello, Mike...

You didn't mention if you're trying to view the PDF on a: PC, Mac, iPhone or Smartphone or what your default browser is so my answers may not help you. I use Firefox and Chrome on a PC and in either, the PDF files preview nicely.

Only way that I know to look at a PDF file in the viewer of your choice would be to download it to your computer. When you click on that PDF, then it should open with Adobe Reader.

Below are a few articles you can read that may help you if you haven't seen them already.

RENDER A FILE IN YOUR BROWSER:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/201

WHAT TYPES OF FILES CAN BE STORED/VIEWED ON DROPBOX:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/6

Out of curiosity... how does below PDF render on your device?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml2xxb142vdbu1f/DBx_GettingStarted.pdf?raw=1
[above link will expire]

NOTE:
You may have to copy/paste above PDF link into a new browser tab to make sure it's rendering as intended vs clicking on it within the forum.

Let me know when you have time.

mike m.10
New member | Level 1

I'm talking about the PDF Preview functionality in the Android app on a tablet. Version 2.4.7.18. I have the Reader app on the tablet and in all prior versions of Dropbox, the PDF opened automatically in the Reader app. Now PDF's open in the dropbox app first and I have to click a couple of buttons to send it to the Reader app. Would prefer to turn off this functionality.

Govert V.
New member | Level 1

I do so totally agree with this. It doesn't only do this for pdfs, but also for office and other files. Wanting to preview the file when clicking it is actually the exception, not the rule. Typically I want to open the file and do something. Dropbox should not want to offer an alternative to dedicated apps; it's the wrong battle for them to pick.

Giangi H.
Collaborator | Level 9

I just come here on this forum for the very same question
HOW TO DISABLE ON ANDROID THE EMBEDDED PDF (AND ANY OTHER TOO LIKE THE RECENTLY ADDED EXCEL!!!) VIEWER???????

I could "accept" to let it kick in for pdf files stored inside Dropbox, but not when, for example, I'm opening a pdf attached to an email!

Please add options for:
* enable PDF viewer YES/NO
- enable outside DB too? YES/NO
* enable "whatever" viewer YES/NO
- enable outside DB too? YES/NO

Simon H.18
New member | Level 1

Oh yes, this is an absolute pain. How dare Dropbox foist this on us without an option to switch it off.
On my smartphone I want to view these documents in Adobe Reader, Spreadsheet etc. because they have full functionality (edit, bookmark etc.), the Dropbox viewer has not.
So, what happens. Find the file I want to work with, tap on it. Oh no! Forgot it opens in Dropbox viewer. Close it again. Long hold, open with, and at last I have what I want.
What a waste of time and productivity.
Dropbox PLEASE give us the option to switch it off. I'm far too old to remember to long hold every time!!!

Gary E.7
New member | Level 1

I really like the pdf preview functionality. Please dont get rid of this option

Giangi H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Nobody asked to remove this feature but to add a simple OPTION to let the user be able to DISABLE it!!
It's unbelievable that DB is simply IGNORING these requests.

Keith S.15
New member | Level 2

This feature makes it impossible for me to use Dropbox for PDF-download links. I don't want it previewed. I want it downloaded.

And if I do have to put up with the preview, don't break up my spreads. I didn't save it in single pages. I saved it as spreads on purpose. That's how it's meant to be viewed, and being forced into single pages screws it up.

I know you're trying to help, but please ask first.

Cate C.2
New member | Level 1

And another request for an option to disable this feature. It drives me nuts that clicking on the file I want to edit (usually word or excel) then won't just open for me to edit. 

It's doubly annoying for me since the dcoument editor I use also opens the file in 'protected; mode, so it takes me about five steps to get to the place I need to be. 

Allow me to decide what clicking on a file does, or I'll start using OneDrive....

Need more support?