cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

mike m.10
New member | Level 1

I really, really dislike the Dropbox PDF preview functionality. It served my needs much better to have the PDF I click on in Dropbox open directly in Acrobat Reader. Is there a way to switch the PDF preview off? If not, I strongly request that become a future option. PDF preview in dropbox may be great for some users, but for me, it's terrible. Thanks.

56 Replies 56

Simon H.18
New member | Level 1

Incredible that, after over a year of us moaning about this and doing nothing to help, Dropbox have made things even worse by opening in "Recent" mode (which usually just whirls around with no results).

I really don't want Dropbox telling me where I should be going for my files - I KNOW where they are!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Dropbox, when you decide to foist new 'features' on us, allow us to switch them off.

Disgruntled and looking hard at OneDrive

Stefanie
Dropbox Staff

Hi Megan and others,

Did you know that in a shared link you can force a file to download instead of previewing?

Please see here for instructions:

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/201

Thanks,

Sofia

Giangi H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Sofia, do you understand the difference between a single tap action and the suggestion you wrote? 😞

Nigel G.6
New member | Level 1

Sofia not a suitable solution.  I liked Dropbox because it was simple and did the job well.  Now I am forced to use their viewer which is horrible and interferes with the apps I use.  If this is not resolved I'll be cancelling my  1tb subscription and use One Drive and Google Drive.  But hey who am I just one consumer....

Nigel G.6
New member | Level 1

P.S.  This forum is not playing nice with my Note 4 in 2 separate browsers.

William S.14
Not applicable

There are several imposed changes nobody wants. 

• Default recent files screen on mobile.
  • Default viewers for files in a world full of free viewers already.
  • Sharing a file turns out to be sharing a link to the file and changing rights.

Just make it optional:

1. You have the working code from before.
  2. You know what a check box is.
  3. You may understand how to code if then statements.

JUST DO IT!!!

Simon H.18
New member | Level 1

I really have no idea what the contribution from Sofia was meant to achieve. Our complaints are about the Dropbox App telling us how we can view our files, not about shared links.

Can somebody from Dropbox explain why they have decided to turn an excellent, easy to use piece of software into an un-navigable nightmare?

William S.14
Not applicable

There is serious miscommunication between dropbox and it's customer base.

Dropbox is really not listening and is playing down complaints. I would not be suprised if some moderators here are paid to help out dropbox with that.

First real proof that dropbox is listening would be they acknowledge a list of silly design mistakes they commit to fix asap.

Nigel G.6
New member | Level 1

I was an early adopter of Dropbox and it was fantastic.  I am not impressed as of late.  Actually Microsoft has done a much better job as of late ncluding integration with One Drive.  Normally I'll be the first to sqwauk about MS and their goofy things they do.

Megan C.13
New member | Level 1

I think she was referring to my comment about wanting customers to be "forced" to download the file; clearly that word choice was misleading.

Even though I do want my customers to have to download the PDF to see it, I don't want it to be automatic. I just want the files to be able to be viewed without a preview -- All I want is the option to turn the preview off or on.

I want to be able to just NAVIGATE through files without the preview always popping up OR slowing everything down OR confusing my customers.

Need more support?