cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

mike m.10
New member | Level 1

I really, really dislike the Dropbox PDF preview functionality. It served my needs much better to have the PDF I click on in Dropbox open directly in Acrobat Reader. Is there a way to switch the PDF preview off? If not, I strongly request that become a future option. PDF preview in dropbox may be great for some users, but for me, it's terrible. Thanks.

56 Replies 56

John B.8
New member | Level 1

I actually found something that worked for me (so far!):

1) Uninstall Dropbox app
2) Open a local PDF file (using ES File Explorer, etc.)
3) System will prompt for default program to open
4) Pick the program you WANT to use :-)
5) Reinstall Dropbox
6) Open another local PDF file (ES File Explorer)
7) System will AGAIN prompt to choose default program
😎 Make your selection

My phone now opens most PDF by default in Adobe Acrobat (local and URL). Dropbox PDF still open in the viewer, but once open, the viewer provides the option to switch to Acrobat.

I'm running Dropbox 7.2.8, Android 6.0.1 on Nexus 6P, and the Dropbox app is running with full permissions.

John B.8
New member | Level 1

I actually found something that worked for me (so far!):

1) Uninstall Dropbox app
2) Open a local PDF file (using ES File Explorer, etc.)
3) System will prompt for default program to open
4) Pick the program you WANT to use :-)
5) Reinstall Dropbox
6) Open another local PDF file (ES File Explorer)
7) System will AGAIN prompt to choose default program
😎 Make your selection

My phone now opens most PDF by default in Adobe Acrobat (local and URL). Dropbox PDF still open in the viewer, but once open, the viewer provides the option to switch to Acrobat.

I'm running Dropbox 7.2.8, Android 6.0.1 on Nexus 6P, and the Dropbox app is running with full permissions.

NB: This only fixed MY phone. I doubt that you'll want to get your customers to go through this process! So I absolutely agree that Dropbox should correct this oversight in their app.

Govert V.
New member | Level 1

Dear John,

I appreciate your contribution, and no offense, but this is not the solution - this is the problem. "Dropbox PDF still open in the viewer, but once open, the viewer provides the option to switch to Acrobat." --> That is what we want to get rid of...

Thanks anyway.

John B.8
New member | Level 1

My apologies for misunderstanding. I was having a somewhat different problem.

Regarding your issue, aside from opening it from the preview, I've gotten the Android app to "Open with..." Adobe, but as indicated in this thread, that's not the requested (one-click) solution.

FMPLASTICSINC
New member | Level 1

Please fix!

William S.14
Not applicable

It is so sad to see how many people are annoyed about changes nobody wants, likes or needs and dropbox staff not acknowledging, listening and fixing.

They really don't care at all about their user community.

This company is run by a few headstrong egos who cannot admit they made a series of extremely poor design decisions.

And to make things worse there are some minions on this forum who advocate these poor design decisions.

For months people complained and they did absolutely nothing at all. Zero, Nada. Null.

Mark
Super User II

It is so sad to see how many people are annoyed about changes nobody wants, likes or needs and dropbox staff not acknowledging, listening and fixing.

Sadly, as annoyed as people are there are still 500 million users of Dropbox who are quite happy with it. Very, very, few posts saying otherwise. 

I cant see it changing, but, if you know others who dont like it why not ask them to come along and up vote the first post?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

William S.14
Not applicable

That is downplaying (which is common for super users here)

Most people won't even know how to get to this forum.

Fact that the silent majority doesn't complain doesn't mean they agree.

Mark
Super User II

No. Its fact. Regardless of how many people dont know this exists its still a good indication of feeling within the product. 

"Recents" for example had hundreds of posts on it within days of roll out. Therefore its clear to see 'its an issue'. This has had 37 in 17 months (including many double posts). 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

William S.14
Not applicable

I dont trust this anymore. How much do super users get paid here? 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matt H.52 New member | Level 1
    Govert V. New member | Level 1
    Navid R. New member | Level 1
    Robert P.42 New member | Level 1
    Andy B.9 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?