cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

mike m.10
New member | Level 1

I really, really dislike the Dropbox PDF preview functionality. It served my needs much better to have the PDF I click on in Dropbox open directly in Acrobat Reader. Is there a way to switch the PDF preview off? If not, I strongly request that become a future option. PDF preview in dropbox may be great for some users, but for me, it's terrible. Thanks.

56 Replies 56

Mark
Super User II

Nothing. In fact most of us also pay for Pro accounts. 

Unfortunately what I'm saying is factually right. There are very very few people complaining about this - hence saying earlier get people to come along and up vote it. Make it an issue. It may not help, nothing may change, but its more likely when its more than just a tiny handful. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

William S.14
Not applicable

Why would you even bother to interfere?

I cant think of a good reason.

You are either a Dropbox employee with an alias or you must gain something for this propaganda.

Mark
Super User II

We obviously have very differing opinions of interfering. I was trying to offer advice on what is a public forum. Of which, you know, people are allowed to have altering opinions to you. You just seem incapable of accepting that. There is no propaganda. There is no underlying agenda. No other reason than trying to help.

I really couldn't care less if the feature is added or it isnt. But for a a third time.... get people to up vote the first one if they want it to change. Prove to Dropbox its an issue. 'cause at the moment it isnt looking that way. Get them as rilled up and charged as they (rightly) are about the atrocity that is recents. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II

You're entitled to your little diva-rants and strops and if us posting here gets you that upset and distressed I'd be asking myself 'why'. On all of your "points" you couldnt be further from the truth. 

Never mind. Its your loss. 

Andy B.9
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue the majority of you are having on here and got online just now to try to find a solution.  Its right here and it doesnt look like anyone has tried it.  John B has the answer.  I did exactly as he did and it worked perfectly.  Now the screw up DropBox created is fixed.  Anytime I open a PDF now on my phone, it opens in my phone Office app...no more crappy Dropbox viewer!!! Some goofball in here assumed this didnt work and dismissed it...he was wrong.   John B.May 22, 2016 16:19

I actually found something that worked for me (so far!):

1) Uninstall Dropbox app
2) Open a local PDF file (using ES File Explorer, etc.)
3) System will prompt for default program to open
4) Pick the program you WANT to use 🙂
5) Reinstall Dropbox
6) Open another local PDF file (ES File Explorer)
7) System will AGAIN prompt to choose default program
😎 Make your selection

My phone now opens most PDF by default in Adobe Acrobat (local and URL). Dropbox PDF still open in the viewer, but once open, the viewer provides the option to switch to Acrobat.

I'm running Dropbox 7.2.8, Android 6.0.1 on Nexus 6P, and the Dropbox app is running with full permissions.

Robert P.42
New member | Level 1

Unfortunately when I share a PDF file via a link from Dropbox when the user opens the link the file opens in a viewer that does not support any of the many internal links that are in the PDF document.  Hence the user is getting a stripped down version of a document that we spent a great deal of effort to create.  If the document would only open in a native PDF reader we would be good to go.  Unfortunately, based on the above comments we are forced to look for an alternate solution to deploy documents.

Anyone have recommendations on alternate delivery methods?

Navid R.
New member | Level 1

go to settings. applications. application manager. dropbox. clear default.
problem solved
galaxy s7

Govert V.
New member | Level 1

Nope. That only prevents DropBox from acting as a pdf viewer for files outside DropBox (eg. on your SD card). Doesn't change anything on said behaviour.

Matt H.52
New member | Level 1

After waiting a year for this issue to be resolved, I finally switched to google drive last week. It was a great decision for organization and speed.

PDFviewer_probs
Explorer | Level 4

I made this account simply to express how deeply I loath the fact that I now cannot use my public directory to link PDFs to my website without Dropbox forcing itself into the process.   Your customers deserve the choice to turn it off.   I really like dropbox - but they are going to lose me as a customer pretty soon.   

----UPDATE-----

I wanted to give credit where credit is due.  When Dropbox first started adding it's own viewer to the process - it was really discouraging because I had built my website for my research around it's previous simplier (frankly less intrusive) approach.   BUT! Dropbox did fix it ( a while ago too) and I am happy I was able to stay with the service.  the dl=0 vs dl=1 option at the end of the links makes it feasible for me to continue to use dropbox to distribute information to collegues and now allowed me to use PDFs in my personal research more easily.  

Cheers Dropbox and thanks for the fix. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matt H.52 New member | Level 1
    Govert V. New member | Level 1
    Navid R. New member | Level 1
    Robert P.42 New member | Level 1
    Andy B.9 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?