cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

mike m.10
New member | Level 1

I really, really dislike the Dropbox PDF preview functionality. It served my needs much better to have the PDF I click on in Dropbox open directly in Acrobat Reader. Is there a way to switch the PDF preview off? If not, I strongly request that become a future option. PDF preview in dropbox may be great for some users, but for me, it's terrible. Thanks.

56 Replies 56

pcrecovery
New member | Level 2

FWIW, i also have an Anchor (syncedtool) account and I love it.   You can actually customize the entire experience and I was able to disable file preview.   I hope that dropbox follows suit and allows disabling previews...i keep getting emails daily from customers saying "the file doesn't open" simply because there is javascript in the html and they expect the preview to display correctly (this is for small simply HTML-based file listings).  I have to constantly tell them to DOWNLOAD the HTML file, then open it on their device...very annoying.

trots
Explorer | Level 3

Just discovered new function to drop box as scanned book archive, followed decision to abandon Dropbox because it's pdf reader limitations. It doesn't make any sense to scroll 2 column (page) landscape format books vertically.

There doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of this serious defect and it's final call to change service provider. Now Google or Amazon, that is the question.

uncleray
New member | Level 2

I really dislike the dropbox viewer and to be honest if they don't give me an option to open a pdf as a pdf just like I created it then I will likely terminate their service. Dear dropbox......Are You Listening......we don't like what you have done. Please fix it or give us a work around. Many of my clients only want to click a link...having to train them to open, download, open as pdf (and it's different for every brower)....what a pain. what a pain what a pain....Argh! So is there a workaround for this? Are you working on a fix? What's up?

Roger F.8
Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox, please, stop trying to mess with PDF files. 

sarah_s
Explorer | Level 4

I am running into the same problem. My pdfs and word documents are both altered by the Dropbox viewer and they look horrible. This thread is more than two years old, looks like the issue is stuck in place.

Rich
Super User II

The files shown on the Preview page are just that; a transcoded preview. To see the document in its original form, you need to open it in the appropriate application.

cherylgrega
New member | Level 2

I can't stand the dropbox at all. None of the other options work at all. I am forced to use this thing. I hate chrome too. I have been unable to find anything since my phone upgraded and I got a new laptop. How many thousand wuestions do I have to Google since there are no directions. This is a pain. I cant find a way to print a pdf that is downloaded on my phone. There is nothing but dropbox!!! 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matt H.52 New member | Level 1
    Govert V. New member | Level 1
    Navid R. New member | Level 1
    Robert P.42 New member | Level 1
    Andy B.9 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?