cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos is not sorting all images by their taken/created date

Photos is not sorting all images by their taken/created date

manugoyal
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I uploaded a folder of photos to Dropbox, and was hoping to view them chronologically by their taken/created date. It seems like some photos are sorted correctly by this value, but other photos are not. I have attached the file info of two photos in my collection. "2023-11-11 21.04.13.heic" is incorrectly sorted under December 2023, but "2023-11-11 17.57.44.heic" is correctly sorted under November 2023. The file infos seem identical in pretty much every respect, so I'm not sure why one is sorted incorrectly. This is happening for roughly 1/8th of the photos in my collection, for a wide variety of dates. Is this a bug in the photos viewer, or perhaps there's something I can edit about the file info to make it sort correctly?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 12.34.31 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-03 at 12.34.42 AM.png

4 Replies 4

Vicker
Super User

Hi, @manugoyal ,

Based on your file info, seems that they were taken on a phone. In such case, you might wanna try to look and edit the date via the Dropbox mobile app. Check out the following official documentation on the steps.

Photos: An overview
> How to change the date on your photos

https://help.dropbox.com/view-edit/photos-overview

Cheers

Vicker

manugoyal
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion @Vicker! I checked the times for the same files on my phone, and they are both showing up as november, just as on desktop. So that may not be the issue.

IMG_0AABA2387B21-1.jpegIMG_C6B8A4C908D2-1.jpeg

Vicker
Super User

You may want to give it a try to edit the date and time, though, and see if there's any effect on the sorting order.

manugoyal
Explorer | Level 3

Ah good idea. I did try this, and unfortunately it just seems to bump the photos to the front of the "December 2023" bucket, rather than putting it in the correct month.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

manugoyal Explorer | Level 3
    Vicker Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?