cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Privacy

Privacy when previewing files

Henry1001
Explorer | Level 4

Does Dropbox keep track of how long I open a file or view a video for? If they do what is the reason for it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Henry1001 wrote:
Hi Jay, can you expand on the exception? You say shared files are and only have limits to the preview itself, what does that mean?

He's referring to the length limits when streaming audio or video files through a shared link. If you share a link to an audio or video file, people viewing the link will only be able to stream the first 15 minutes of that file when you have a Basic account. If you have a Plus, Family or Professional account, the first 60 minutes can be streamed. And if you have a Business account, the first 4 hours can be streamed.

So, while Dropbox isn't tracking the amount of time that YOU spend on a file, they are tracking how long that file can be viewed based on the limits appropriate to the file owner's account, and then ending the stream when that limit is reached.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Re: Privacy when previewing files

dropfile1
New member | Level 2

I don't think that they keep track on your viewing time. Only thing I know is that they track the last time you opened a file. 

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Henry1001, thanks for joining the Community!

Currently, Dropbox doesn't track how long you're viewing files for.

The only possible exception would be for audio and video files in a shared link, which have limits to the preview itself, so it isn't tracking as such.

If you have any specific concerns or queries, please let me know more!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Henry1001
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jay, can you expand on the exception? You say shared files are and only have limits to the preview itself, what does that mean?

Rich
Super User II

@Henry1001 wrote:

He's referring to the length limits when streaming audio or video files through a shared link. If you share a link to an audio or video file, people viewing the link will only be able to stream the first 15 minutes of that file when you have a Basic account. If you have a Plus, Family or Professional account, the first 60 minutes can be streamed. And if you have a Business account, the first 4 hours can be streamed.

So, while Dropbox isn't tracking the amount of time that YOU spend on a file, they are tracking how long that file can be viewed based on the limits appropriate to the file owner's account, and then ending the stream when that limit is reached.

Need more support?