cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart-sync Monterey 12.4 with Adobe Software

Smart-sync Monterey 12.4 with Adobe Software

smokinghotdog
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox still has no smart-sync feature on Monterey 12.4
And with smart-sync, I mean Dropbox files that are automatically downloaded.

For instance with Adobe After Effects.

Before the latest OS update, every linked file within an AE project was automatically synced with Dropbox smart-sync.
This feature totally falls apart with Dropbox's new way of syncing online and offline files.

When you open an After Effects project with 'online only' files linked inside that project.
You will receive loads of error screens. Even reloading linked files through After Effects won't work properly.

The only workaround is making every linked file 'offline available' first, before opening that project.
Which, as you can imagine, is a big obstacle working with largely packed AE projects.

Can @dropbox give us any insight on a timeline to fix this with a Dropbox update?

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @smokinghotdog, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As you're experiencing these issues, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

brsck
New member | Level 2

I've exactly the same issue with premiere pro. I get a "generic error" message inside of premiere pro when I'm trying to relink media that is located in my dropbox. It completely destroys my previous workflow. It used to just download the files via smart sync in earlier versions...

smokinghotdog
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Jay,

In the meantime I've contacted Dropbox support.
After explaining this specific issue their response was:

"We are actively working on a fix regarding this issue!
In the future, we will provide full support for online-only files on macOS 12.3 and beyond.

I appreciate your patience on this. Please let me know if I can provide any additional support."

Good to hear Dropbox is working on a fix.
Hopefully it will be in the very near future and I hope to receive a head's up in this topic.
That would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Ticketnumber 17059126

AlexC7
Explorer | Level 4

I also have the same issue with Adobe apps: indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acobat, After Effects so far) on M1 Macbook Pro, Mac OS 12.4 and Dropbox  Version 150.4.5000. Renders my new mac useless lucky I have an old iMac to get me out of trouble until Dropbox resolves the issue.

smokinghotdog
Helpful | Level 6

Any (good) news on this at all @dropbox @Jay 
It's really unworkable, undo-able and unbearable up to this point.
When will there be a proper Dropbox update that resolves this issue?

We need smart-sync back exactly the way it was: smart and reliable.
Pretty please with sugar on top.

charlievideo
Explorer | Level 3

Is there a place to monitor active updates on this issue? It's becoming a serious problem for me and my team. I believe in you, Dropbox dev team!

ml16
Explorer | Level 4

Curious if anyone here has tried downgrading their Mac OS to before the new Monterey Release as just a temp fix to get around this crippling problem? We are a small design firm and this is killing hours out of every day. I wish Dropbox would release a compatible version.

brsck
New member | Level 2

@ml16 Yes, I downgraded several machines here at our studio to get rid of this problem. The issue is, downgrading takes a lot of time, because you need to completely reset and format your mac. So this takes a lot of time and be aware of disabling "auto update" on your mac, because otherwise your mac will update overnight and then all the downgrading was for nothing. Also newer Macs with the silicon chips can't be downgraded to older MacOS, so dropbox won't work proper anyway.

ml16
Explorer | Level 4
This is a MAJOR issue for any design agency using dropbox. It wastes hours every day which impacts profitability. Unfortunately if you contact support there is currently no solution and you will just hear “we are working on it.”
Need more support?