cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Some of my files show up as zero bytes

Some of my files show up as zero bytes

saguilar2012
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When I save file, the file will appear in my DropBox, but when I open it the file is completely blank or only kept an older version of the document. I realized some of these "saved" items are being saved as Zero bytes. I am not sure why this is happening. 

82 Replies 82

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DUDLEYKCET, sorry to hear about that! 

Did you use our app, in order to copy the content from the Dropbox folder, to your external drive? 

It sounds like the content might have been available online-only, which means that the only thing copied, was the files' placeholders. Could this be the case? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

elainemorrison
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Megan I downloaded the files from a photographer on my laptop.  I was able to attach photos from Finder and from GMail until the last Mac update.  The Mac update caused me to no longer be able to easily attach photos as they all show as zero bytes.  Now if I want to attach a photo I have to open up Dropbox on my computer and then download the image and then use it.  I was told months ago by a "Dropboxer" that Dropbox was "trying" to fix the problem and that the software update was the issue but that no one seemed to know what to do.  In the meantime, I'm paying for Dropbox and am massively inconvenienced.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @elainemorrison, sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify how exactly you're attaching the file in the first place? 

Are you ensuring that the file is locally available to your computer first by making it available offline?

Also, have you considered using the Gmail add-on as an alternative way to achieve what you had in mind?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

elainemorrison
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Walter I used to be able to take photos and drag them from finder to emails or Shopify.  Ever since I did a Mac update earlier this year it stopped working and shows as zero bytes.  I've asked and asked and asked and asked and no one at Dropbox seems to know what I'm talking about or what to do.

I downloaded the photos from my photographer to Dropbox.  All was fine for months and then after the update, I'm not able to access them in an easy fashion.  And no one has an answer...

elainemorrison
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Walter I tried following the instructions where it says to open Finder, right-click the folder, and set it to offline.  When I right click it opens the folder which shows me all the photos and nowhere does it give me the option to set it to offline.  It would be helpful if you had graphics showing how to do this.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @elainemorrison, when you right click a file in your Dropbox folder while the Dropbox desktop application is running, you should see different options there.

Could you attach a screenshot showing these options in order to assist you further?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Toini1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I attempted a thorough removal and reinstall, but the issue persists. In the browser, I can see the typical files, but in Finder, several of them display "Zero Bytes." Not all of the files are included either. I have a MacBook Air M1. The Silicon Mac file was set up.

elainemorrison
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Jay When I go to Dropbox on my desktop and go to the folder I can check a box next to the folder or there are three dots at the far right and when I click on those it gives me options: 

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 7.42.00 AM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You're viewing the Dropbox site, and not the Dropbox folder on the desktop machine. 

You need to right click files and folders in the Dropbox folder in Finder/Explorer.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

elainemorrison
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Jay they say zero bytes.

Need more support?