cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Some of my files show up as zero bytes

Some of my files show up as zero bytes

saguilar2012
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When I save file, the file will appear in my DropBox, but when I open it the file is completely blank or only kept an older version of the document. I realized some of these "saved" items are being saved as Zero bytes. I am not sure why this is happening. 

82 Replies 82

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @elainemorrison, can you send me some more screenshots, of what you see when you right click on a file, or folder locally from your Dropbox folder in the device? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Catasonic
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It is strange that someone from Dropbox doesn't answer this, since the users that are offering replies to this question are pointing this user in the wrong direction. When files on your hard drive Dropbox Folder say zero bytes, it means Smart Sync is on and the file is stored on the Dropbox Server. If you want to access this file or folder offline, you must access the Right Click or Control Click menus for Dropbox. One of them will say, Make Available Offline. You must do this for instance if you wish to copy the file somewhere else. If you do not, the file name will copy (very slowly) with no warning and you will have a zero byte file on your local Non- Dropbox location. If you do not notice this, and you delete your dropbox online version, you will have lost that file. Dropbox, knows this is an issue, and supposedly will offer an upgrade that fixes this. It should automatically start the offline download and put up a dialog informing you of what is happening. 

elainemorrison
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Catasonic I've been seeking answers to this question for months.  I don't know where to right-click in order to change the setting.  I've asked for a photo of video of this and no one can help me.  I find Dropbox extremely confusing to use and very hard to find clear answers.  Thank you for your suggestion but I don't know where to make this change.

Toini1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Up until the most recent Mac update, I could connect photographs from the Finder and through Gmail. I'm no longer able to quickly attach photographs because of the Mac upgrade since they all display as 0 bytes. Now that Dropbox is open on my computer, I must first download the image before I can use it as an attachment.

Toini1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

For instance, if you want to copy the file to another location, you must do this. If you don't, the file name will copy (very slowly) without any notification, and you'll end up with a zero-byte file on your local drive that isn't connected to Dropbox. If you don't realise this and remove your Dropbox account, you'll have to

mossa
New member | Level 2

Have been using Dropbox for about 10 years no issues with files uploaded from Windows machines, since switching to Mac because of awfully sluggish Windows OS, hate and don't trust Microsoft, opted not to use their OneDrive even though has 1TB storage with Office Apps.
All files uploaded from Windows VM always show "Zero bytes", usually opening them will solve the issue. Sometimes forget to open the file and attach to email, recipient reports it cannot open. All my files are offline to save disk space, opting for online is not a solution and wastes time as with opening the file before attaching to email.
Went through all 74 threads, my feeling is that either the support tech cannot understand what we are talking about or DP has an unfixed bug for so long a time and don't show will to solve it.

Hope this is solved before the end of the year 2023 or will opt for another cloud storage solution when my subscription renewal is due.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

HI there @mossa, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please provide us with some additional information so that we can assist further?

Also, does this happen with only the Windows VM or a normal Windows device as well? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mossa
New member | Level 2

Thanks Walter, this happens in both cases, Windows VM and Windows machine.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the clarification @mossa 

Could you also clarify the exact OS version of your device(s) and the version and status of the desktop app as shown in your system tray/menu bar?

If you could also attach a screenshot of how the files look on your end so check their syncing icons, I'd appreciate it. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jlivet
New member | Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I've read this entire thread and am having similar issues.  I'd like to weigh in here.  I'm on a Mac running Ventura 13.4.  This is a new computer and I set up the DropBox Desktop App for Mac.  I'm seeing that all of my files are 0 bytes as others on this thread have mentioned.  I believe this is normal behavior when Dropbox Desktop is set for "Online-Only" which is meant to save disk space but as you can see below, I have it set to "Available Offline".

More Information

1.  In Dropbox Desktop, I set the Storage to "Available Offline"

jlivet_0-1689193163088.png

2.  Most of the files show a cloud icon with zero bytes.

jlivet_1-1689193307327.png

It seems to me that this is a bug in the Dropbox Desktop not honoring the flag in step #1.  As many others have mentioned, this is new behavior as I've been using Dropbox for many years.  I'm surprised that a solution hasn't emerged yet from the Dropbox team.  

Need more support?