cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Something weird happens when I rename files

Something weird happens when I rename files

PhilipCh1994
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, every time I try to rename a file after uploading it, Dropbox automatically changes the type of file it is (or encrypts it?). I'm not sure what happens precisely but the file becomes unreadable. I can't open it with any app and it becomes useless and I lose essential data in the process. How can I prevent this? I want to be able to rename my files without issues after uploading them to Dropbox. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@PhilipCh1994 wrote:

So, every time I try to rename a file after uploading it, Dropbox automatically changes the type of file it is (or encrypts it?).

Dropbox doesn't (and can't) change your file's type. It just doesn't have that capability.

When you're renaming a file, are you removing or changing the file's extension? That would be the characters after the last period in the file name, such as .xlsx, .docx, .jpg, etc. Without a file extension, your computer won't know how to open a file. It's the file extension that tells your computer (and Dropbox) what type of file it is, and what application should be used to open the file.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@PhilipCh1994 wrote:

So, every time I try to rename a file after uploading it, Dropbox automatically changes the type of file it is (or encrypts it?).

Dropbox doesn't (and can't) change your file's type. It just doesn't have that capability.

When you're renaming a file, are you removing or changing the file's extension? That would be the characters after the last period in the file name, such as .xlsx, .docx, .jpg, etc. Without a file extension, your computer won't know how to open a file. It's the file extension that tells your computer (and Dropbox) what type of file it is, and what application should be used to open the file.

PhilipCh1994
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

yep, that was it actually. Sounds retarded but I didn't think about the extension. However, I also think Dropbox should find a workaround for this. Who wants to haven extensions in their files names...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@PhilipCh1994 wrote:

However, I also think Dropbox should find a workaround for this. Who wants to haven extensions in their files names...

It's not a Dropbox issue to resolve. That is how files and applications work. If someone needs to change that (and I don't think anything needs to be changed), it would be the groups that write the operating systems and applications that create the files.

Need more support?