cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing files with a remote PC

Syncing files with a remote PC

phil-g3swh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi there.

I'm looking for some help please.  I am a basic user in the UK and want to share a large file with a relative in the USA.  I already know that I can share the file easily with him but what we want to be able to do is for him to be able to edit the file and then for the amended version to be automatically uploaded back to Dropbox and for me to be notified that an update has been uploaded.  And vice-versa, of course.  I was hoping that there would be an edit button available but all I can see is a "Can view" option.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Regards and TIA

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@phil-g3swh those screenshots are from the Dropbox website: www.dropbox.com/home

Navigate to your folder there and you should be able to do it 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @phil-g3swh,

Put the file you want to share in a folder (can create a new one, if need) and share the wrapping folder instead of the file itself. 😉

Hope this helps.

phil-g3swh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks I've tried that but unless a wrapping folder is something entirely new to me, I can still only see an option to allow my relation to "view", not "edit".

Am I doing something wrong here do you think?

Regards

Phil

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @phil-g3swh,

I have no idea what you have done, but most probably there is a mistake. I'll try reproduce such a process. First let's get to some file 'A File':

image.png

If you want to share this file, you can see:

image.png

As can be seen you are not able to share with edit access. Ok, now let's create a wrapping folder 'A folder':

image.png

... and move 'A File' into 'A Folder'. Now let's try to share the wrapping folder 'A Folder':

image.png

image.png

As can be seen you can select between 'can view' and 'can edit'. 😉 Even more 'can edit' is usually selected by default. Just put into the email field desired Dropbox account email you want to share to and push 'Share folder' button. That's it. Recipient will get 'A Folder' with 'A File' within (the desired one), that can be edited.

Is there something you are doing in different way? Follow the exact steps above with only names of file/folder replaced accordingly.

Hope this sheds some more light.

phil-g3swh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks again.

I'm sorry but I must be being incredibly stupid as I cannot find a screen that resembles in any way your starting point.  Can you please explain how to get there?

I am using a PC with Windows 10.

Regards

Phil

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@phil-g3swh those screenshots are from the Dropbox website: www.dropbox.com/home

Navigate to your folder there and you should be able to do it 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

phil-g3swh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for that information.  I think I've got it now. 🙂

Regards

Phil

Need more support?