cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

Gil K.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is no "solution" it is an announcement of a problem, and it is, for Dropbox, a self-inflicted wound.

Sam D.14
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Does anyone see the new page? It is July 18th and I still see a banner saying that this page will be changing on July 17th.

Maybe Dropbox changed their minds?

JedDinger
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You had to go and say something. They had forgotten to remove albums, but now, because you said something, they are going to remove the albums. Thanks buddy, it's all your fault. 

drcd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Looks great. I like it a ot.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I like how you can't delete the photos from dropbox online in "photos".   You have to go the the folder and find it.  That's way harder.

Simon J.6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The new version does not provide any functionality for working with photos.

Check one photo you have a Share, Show in folder, Download, Add comment and Version history option. Check two or more photos and you only have Download.

Obviously the albums style functionality is gone, but you can't even check a few photos and move them to their own folder.

When you have 32554 photos, this new view is pretty much pointless.

"As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the Photos page." Help Center

Easy - bring back the albums functionality, that's how users prefered to work with photos.

Anthony A.25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I don't get it. It worked very well and now it doesn't. Things that used to be easy are now hard.

I transitioned all of my clients to Google Drive over the last month. It has shortcomings, but it feels like a decent service and I haven't heard any major complaints. I'll probably stick with it for a year to see how things go.

Unfortunately, I won't consider Dropbox an option again for a long time because I don't understand or trust the business strategy that drove this change. I realize they don't care and that's also part of the problem.

Charles L.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So essentially the major change Dropbox has made is to eliminate the ability to create a link to multiple files for any purpose, be it to send in an e-mail, post to Facebook, whatever.  (The minor change is the date timeline scroll on the photo page, but since that was imprecise, it’s not a major change IMO.)  The inability to create links to multiple files clearly makes Dropbox less useful to those who want to share photos.  The question, as always when a software developer eliminates desirable functionality, is “why?”

One theory is that, by forcing users to create folders and perhaps copy the same photo to multiple folders, user storage space limits are maxed out faster, which results in higher revenue as users must purchase additional storage space.  That’s a nice conspiracy theory, but I don't think that's the reason.  Consumers who need that functionality will simply migrate to another cloud service that is more photo-friendly and offers it, if such a service exists.

Another theory is that the cost to maintain separate photo software is not providing a decent ROI to Dropbox.  That theory, which is endorsed by a friend of mine who advises technology companies for a living, at least makes business sense, even though it pisses off those of us who love the photo functionality Dropbox previously had.  This theory is supported by the fact that several years ago Dropbox attempted to differentiate itself by adding Carousel, and other photo friendly features, but started backing away from those last year, apparently not receiving the anticipated ROI.  Since it would be an irrational business decision to discontinue a feature that is adding subscribers, I suspect my friend is right.  Even as browser software, cloud service software has to be maintained.   My friend also suggested that perhaps contractual relationships with Amazon and Google may have compelled or encouraged Dropbox to not compete with these cloud storage behemoths in the photo-user space, though this was only a surmise by him -- though not a bad one.

A third theory crossed my mind:  When Dropbox created a multi-file (photo or otherwise) link, it really created a metadata file which, when accessed, created on-the-fly (if designed properly) and "album" fly to display and access the various files -- it's not as though Dropbox needed to store separate copies of files and store them.  However, doing this would take processor power, and also take up some storage space, as we must assume that several on-the-fly "albums" would exist at any one time.

What is curious about Dropbox’s decision to cripple the ability to create links to multiple files is its effect on non-photo file users.  While it may be more common for photo users to create links to multiple files, it is a feature that non-photo users also use, but no more.  If there is a way to create a link to multiple files, photos or otherwise, I haven't found it and, based on Dropbox's comments about its changes, I don't believe it exists.

All of which is frustrating, but falls under the category of "don't worry about things you can't control."  If the kind of functionality Dropbox had prior to this latest crippling "upgrade" has a market, the marketplace will eventually provide, whether it is another company or Dropbox (though this latest takeaway has, at least among current users, crated consumer trust).  That's how capitalism works, though it doesn't always work as quickly as we would like.

JedDinger
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Excellent write up, thanks for taking the time to put forward your thoughts on what might have happened. It was useful to read the opinions of your friends in the industry as well. 

Charles L.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks.  While the photo changes have not cracked the tech trades yet, here is what is in the news, that sheds a little light on why Dropbox is content to piss off its photo users:

Planning huge IPO

Taking its network in-house and distributing its cloud servers globally

Need more support?