cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Photos page is changing... for the worse

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

Sirty
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Currently in the process of moving all my files over to Google Photos.  Wish this wasn't the case, but I'm happy to leave a company who no longer cares about those of us who got them to where they are today.

Mike H.57
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The original notification about the changes said (with no sense of irony, apparently)

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

At the moment, as everyone agrees, its not "better".

And I think it's pretty clear that "how our users prefer to work with photos" is with shareable albums, not folders.

(Remember, DB, like you used to have ...)

Are we ever going to see any improvements that get us close to what we used to have? Or should I just cancel?

Charles L.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

No, that was just PR bull**bleep**.  It's pretty clear Dropbox has dropped any real support for photos.  Sharing was the key.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

BOOM!!!!  There it is!  Anyone else get this bull**bleep** email?

Hi M,

If you’re anything like Jason McNeil—a pro photographer who regularly works with magazines, hair salons, and make-up studios—putting your work in the best light is critical. But he’s often had to package everything in a jumble of links and email attachments, then send new versions after every revision.

We gave Jason early access to Dropbox Showcase. Here’s what he had to say:

“Dropbox Showcase has changed the way that I work with my clients by making it easier for me to store, share, and track my work from the same place. It’s simple to use, and it’s effective. When I share my work with partners in a showcase, I know that I look professional every time. And because the files are synced directly with my Dropbox, I don’t need to worry about version control.”

See what you can do in Showcase when you sign up for Dropbox Professional.

Learn more

Now you can be like Jack. 

What a joke.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Or Jason....   Whatever.

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Yep. So they’re holding the old features to ransom. You get can them back by paying twice as much.

Anyone else notice that one of the other vaunted features for the new level of account is “sharing controls” - which I’m taking to be passwords and expiry dates on links? Pretty sure I have them on my account at the moment so I wonder how long it is before they take those away too.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Darren S.1 wrote:
Anyone else notice that one of the other vaunted features for the new level of account is “sharing controls” - which I’m taking to be passwords and expiry dates on links? Pretty sure I have them on my account at the moment so I wonder how long it is before they take those away too.

If you have them, you'll keep them. Only new Plus accounts won't have them.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Sort of like this then:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/carousel-shut-down

"

What happened to the private albums that I created in Carousel?

You can continue to access your private albums using Dropbox. To view your photos online, go to photos.dropbox.com.

To view your photos on the Dropbox Android app:

1. Open the main menu.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Tab Albums."

"If you have them, you'll keep them. Only new Plus accounts won't have them."

or

"If you like your doctor you can keep him...."

Nobody can trust what Dropbox says. 

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
What Drew giveth, Drew taketh away.

PlanetJuno
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi folks,

We were exhausted by all the frustrations so we built a solution for photographers and videographers, -- www.planetjuno.com --- . We know there are small bugs/ integration issues and a few features required. We aren't quite there yet but getting there.

We genuinely were just 2 people who thought that you should be able to look at your photo on a feed, grid or map..and share easily. We built the platform searching metadata, which is quite cool when you use the map. Take it easy on us, We aren't corporate machines, just wanted to try and build something we wanted.

Hopefully it helps you guys as well.

Need more support?