cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsupported file type

Unsupported file type

Robert46
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Have been using Dropbox on Windows PC and Android cell phone for many years for the same files. Recently attempted to access two Word documents from Dropbox on cell phone, which I have been accessing for many years. Received a message on cell phone, "unsupported file type". However, I have no trouble accessing these two files in Dropbox on PC. What's changed? How can I access? Will influence my decision to renew Dropbox!

14 Replies 14

jima999
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

First of all, the Android app version is 306.2.2 which only updated on my phone the 15th of this month.

Secondly, if I access one of the password protected docx files at www.dropbox.com I am at least asked to provide a password. Unfortunately when I enter the password, it then says it is incorrect (please see attached screenshot at the bottom). I have tried this more than once and am sure the password is correct.

In fact, if I download the same docx file from www.dropbox.com to my PC I am able to open in Word okay using the same password. Furthermore, if I download the same docx file on my phone I can subsequently open okay using the Word app and the same password.

Finally, if I try to open any password protected docx file from within my sync'd Dropbox folders on the PC I am able to open in Word by providing the appropriate password, as usual.

Screenshot 2022-11-18 19.18.32.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Gsh1 & @jima999, could you check if this helps improve matters for you too?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Seajay58
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi, I have just encountered exactly the same issue. I have been able to access password protected Word documents with no issue untill today. It was probably only a few days since I successfully accessed a protected document. Dropbox has always said it could not preview the doc but I could download and open it in word with no problems. Something has obviously changed with Dropbox. Please fix this.

Gsh1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks @Walter... that works for me. Any likelihood it'll be patched in the next release?

Seajay58
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Sorry @Walter. Don't know how I missed your suggestion. Yes that worked for me🙂
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Seajay58 Explorer | Level 4
    Gsh1 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    jima999 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?