cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload file directly from Google Drive

Upload file directly from Google Drive

civon
Helpful | Level 6

As a Dropbox fan, Google Drive has always been a nightmare to me, due to its unstable download speed, horrible syncing app, irrational sharing logic, etc.

I used to be able to transfer files directly from Google Drive to Dropbox using the Dropbox's native feature on Jun 18, 2022. I thought it was the day to end the Google Drive nightmare, but unfortunately the next day Dropbox took this feature away.

I have to say this feature is so critical to my Dropbox using experience. As my business partners always use Google Drive to share large files every day, and I use Dropbox to store all my own files. In the past, I have to install third-party app to my Google Drive to allow the files stored on Google Drive to be downloaded to the server provided by the third-party developer, and then they upload the files to my Dropbox account. During the process, files from both Google Drive and Dropbox have a high risk of being exposed to a third party or even leak to public. If Dropbox could establish a direct tunnel with Google Drive, I will be more confident to transfer files. Sometimes the files our business partner shared need not to be downloaded to local computer, and only need to be stored on cloud. That's where this direct-transfer feature becomes especially useful.

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @civon, thanks for posting on our Community!

Could you please clarify which Dropbox feature you are referring to and provide some additional information about your use-case and what exactly you'd like to see implemented? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

civon
Helpful | Level 6

TL;DR version: I wish Dropbox could bring back this beta feature and make it permanent. @Walter 

Upload From Google DriveUpload From Google Drive

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @civon, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here, and thanks for your screenshot!

I’ve already passed your feedback along to the relevant team, so that they know about this. 

Hope this helps, and if you need something else, I’ll be around the forum.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jennaV
New member | Level 2

Hey @Nancy,

Is there any news about bringing this feature (uploading directly from Google Drive) back to Dropbox?

Thanks,

Jenna

Jackson
Dropbox Staff

Hello @jennaV, sorry for jumping in. 

I am afraid that, we do not have any updates to share at this moment, but we will make sure to keep you posted.

Thank you for your continued interest in Dropbox.

Jackson
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ccowand
New member | Level 2

I just used this feature. Now I can't use it. Efforts made less than 10 minutes apart, and made no changes to settings. Didn't even close the browser. If another person in this community says Dropbox doesn't have it, or 'nothing new', they are misinformed and/or lying.

hiraeth
New member | Level 2

I just had the same issue. I've been using Google Drive for my work and the syncing is absolutely un-usable. I've just come on to Dropbox and tried it's upload from google drive function on a test folder - worked perfectly. Now the option is gone...?

tommyluu
New member | Level 2

I've never used this feature, but I saw it flash up while a page was loading and now i've found it again but under the ... menu. It says "Add from Google Drive". again, i haven't tested or used it, but maybe the same? worth a look!

tommyluu
New member | Level 2

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 12.01.22 AM.png

looks like this

Need more support?