cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Viewing a new folder in Windows 10 file explorer

Viewing a new folder in Windows 10 file explorer

Jon_Gammon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Community

I've been using Dropbox for years and happily seeing all my folders and files in Windows 10 explorer. All on a standard windows PC.

A new contact has recently shared a folder in her Dropbox account with me. I can access it (and the contents) fine in the Dropbox explorer but that isn't going to work for me - I need to be able to see and work with the folder and its contents in explorer.

I've searched everywhere on this and cannot work out how to do it! It's probably something really easy, but I'm darned if I can find it.

Many thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Re: Viewing a new folder in Windows 10 file explorer

Rich
Super User II

@Jon_Gammon wrote:

A new contact has recently shared a folder in her Dropbox account with me. I can access it (and the contents) fine in the Dropbox explorer but that isn't going to work for me - I need to be able to see and work with the folder and its contents in explorer.

You can see the folder on the Dropbox website but it won't sync to the Dropbox folder on your computer? Check the name of the folder and make sure it doesn't have any characters that are incompatible with Windows.

This is a common issue when sharing between Mac and Windows. There are characters that can be used on a Mac that are reserved on Windows, and any file or folder that has such characters won't sync to Windows.

Re: Viewing a new folder in Windows 10 file explorer

Jon_Gammon
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich

The problem is now solved - I thought I'd post here for the benefit of anybody else who encounters the same problem.

It turns out that it was as simple as the third party having shared the folder to an e-mail address of mine that wasn't associated with Dropbox. As soon as I got them to share to an e-mail address that was associated with my Dropbox account it all synced as expected.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jon_Gammon Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?