cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get rid of DropBox

Want to get rid of DropBox

-09-07
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have had DropBox since 2013, just in the background backing up my photos but I have realised this was a mistake.

I find this program really counterintuitive to use for personal photo storage, and very expensive!

There are cheaper and more user friendly options for me, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use this programme!  There seems to be no feature for 'download my files' or any option of seeing how big a folder is or how many files are in it!  Plus there seem to be duplicates on here and it's just a mess.  I have thousands of photos of my kids as babies and I don't want to lose them as they have sentimental attachment for me and I'd like to gradually print them or add to photobooks.  It seems to me that DropBox is a great tool for businesses to use for file sharing but it's not what I need as a personal user.

So my question is this - what is the easiest way for a non-technical person like me to get these photos off, onto my laptop, to then upload to my photo storage cloud service (Flickr) and also to backup on an external hard-drive?  Please dumb it down for me as much as possible!

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @-09-07, thanks for messaging the Community.

Do you currently have the Dropbox desktop application installed on your machine?

Or is it only the mobile app you have running or your mobile devices?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

-09-07
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

Thanks for coming back to me!

At the moment, I only have the app on my phone.  I can access the DropBox website on a work computer, but I cannot install software on this device.  I am able to download files onto my work computer harddrive and as such, transfer to an external harddrive, but I cannot do this via the desktop app. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

You can download entire folders from your Dropbox account, provided that they contain less than 20 GB in total, and fewer than 10,000 files.

You can also calculate the size of your folders using these steps.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    -09-07 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?