cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why are my photos from iPhone suddenly imported as .heic files to Dropbox?

Why are my iPhone photos imported as .heic files when uploading them to my Dropbox account?

jannep17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why are my photos from iPhone suddenly imported as .heic files to Dropbox? 

This only happened this week, say on Tuesday (July 4th). Has never happened before. 

Now I cannot see these photos on the desktop version of Dropbox. On the Dropbox app for iPhone, I see the files (with the ending .heic) but I cannot open them and cannot preview them. 

What has happened and how do I fix this? 

15 Replies 15

word4life
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry, maybe I've missed this, but I'm running ios11 beta and did not know about this option to save as MOST COMPATIBLE. I've taken a slew of photos on vacation and just shared to dropbox and many (but not all) are in HEIC format. Is there any way to convert those to jpegs so my friends can download them?? I understand that the setting should be changed going forward, but what about the ones I have? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Unfortunately word4life thats something you need to ask Apple as it is their format on their own beta. Its been a bit of shock to everybody else the new format so the only people who can really help are Apple themselves.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DJ C.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi jannep17! My name is DJ and I'm a product manager at Dropbox. If you've updated your Dropbox iOS app to at least version 64.2.2, you will have an option to upload these new .heic photos iOS 11 introduced as .jpg. 

If you select at least one .heic photo by tapping the Plus button > Upload Photos, you will see an option to "Save HEIC Photo as" you can choose upload the .heic photo(s) as JPG or HEIC. 

If you use automatic camera uploads, you'll see messaging that asks you to choose how you want to save HEIC photos as through this feature. You can select JPG or HEIC.

You can learn more about this in our Help Center: https://help.dropbox.com/photos-videos/ios-formats

Hope this helps! 

khoaoow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey guys, this is my online tool help to convert ios 11 photo in format heic to jpg. Feel free to let me know if you have any comments or feedback, thank you!
http://freetoolonline.com/heic-to-jpg.html

Morgansmith
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,  jannep17

Since HEIC files have many advantages for iPhone users, such as it can keep HD  quality with smaller size, Apple choose to save photos as this file type. If you need to open them, I would like to suggest you to convert it via free HEIC to JPG converters. Just sign in your Dropbox account on your computer, transfer the photos to hard disk. Then load them onto the free online version to convert them to JPG files directly. For the step-by-step guide, you may take a look at: how to open HEIC files in Windows free.

caroline888
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also have the same issue.  To be honest, I like HEIC photos. It has better quality and save much space on my iPhone 6s. However, everything have two side. The HEIC format is also not supported by many other image viewer or apps or other OS except Apple's.  Thanks to this HEIC to JPG Converter, I finally got all my HEIC phtos converted to JPEG format. 

Need more support?