cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancel account

how to stop dropbox syncing files

JOHN HOWKINs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox is immediately syncing all new downloads and then, if I move a download out of Dropbox, Dropbox says it will delete it on all devices.  The result is I can't use downloads.  I have just been sent some files for an article I am writing, and Dropbox is stopping me use them.  I know this is a common problem but I can't find a solution.   I can't cancel Dropbox, I can't use my files. I could pay more, but the same problem will arise in a few months. Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JOHN HOWKINs; thanks for posting on our Community!

Regarding your first concern, it seems like you enabled the computer backup feature which allows you to backup some of your computer's OS key folders (e.g. Downloads, Desktop and Documents).

Can you take a look at the relevant documentation and let us know if it helps improve matters at all? 

As per your additional query, note that the message you get is referring to deleting the file(s) you're moving out of your Dropbox folder on your computer from any Dropbox platform, be it the desktop app, the mobile one or our website; not from your computer's hard drive. 

I hope this helps to a certain extent and please let us know how you get on, John. 

Thanks!

PS: I merged your posts under the same thread to keep things neat in our Community; I hope you don't mind. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

JOHN HOWKINs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a problem with Dropbox syncing files and saying if I use them (ie, take them out of Dropbox) it will delete them.

I am thinking of cancelling my subscription, stopping the syncing, and then rejoining. 

Does anyone know what happens if I cancel my subscription? Can I keep my files?  Or does Dropbox delete them?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JOHN HOWKINs; thanks for posting on our Community!

Regarding your first concern, it seems like you enabled the computer backup feature which allows you to backup some of your computer's OS key folders (e.g. Downloads, Desktop and Documents).

Can you take a look at the relevant documentation and let us know if it helps improve matters at all? 

As per your additional query, note that the message you get is referring to deleting the file(s) you're moving out of your Dropbox folder on your computer from any Dropbox platform, be it the desktop app, the mobile one or our website; not from your computer's hard drive. 

I hope this helps to a certain extent and please let us know how you get on, John. 

Thanks!

PS: I merged your posts under the same thread to keep things neat in our Community; I hope you don't mind. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

JOHN HOWKINs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Many thanks for this. I have managed to stop the syncing of all downloads. 

And thanks for merging the two threads.

Problem solved

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the speedy response, John; I'm glad to hear it's sorted now.

See you around the Community and enjoy the rest of your day! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Pua F.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I followed the steps in the relevant documenation to turn off computer backup. The "Backups" tab does not offer "Manage Backup." If I click on the offered "Setup" it does not offer to let me unclick "My PC" folder.  I unclicked all the folders being synced there, but I cannot then save that setting.

This is eating up so much of my time!

Need more support?