cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recover deleted files via dropbox

recover deleted files via dropbox

Pomogacs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi there!

Probably when I did, I was dense and made a stupid mistake.

When I downloaded dropbox for my desktop, the system started synchronizing my desktop with the Dropbox acount. I stopped that, but the system created a reference folder from my desktop (in my mind not with all of my files, because I stopped the process)

That was okay, but last Sunday I deleted the files inside that folder and the system deleted all my folders/files/everything from my desktop permanently.

I tried to recover with concerning programs, (the program found things from 2015, but I found 0 sign from the searched files...) I checked the bin and even checked the dropbox version history/bin too, but there are no signs from my files. (Im using the free version)

Do I have a chance to recover my stuff?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Pomogacs, thanks for the speedy reply! 

It sounds like you permanently deleted the files off of your device then. In this case, there's not much we would be able to do, if any. 

Can you also check your events page, and let me know what you can find there?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Pomogacs, let's see what we can find on this! 

It seems you enabled Computer backup on your end. 

Have you also emptied your device's trash after deleting the content?

If you search in your File Explorer for an example file name, are you able to locate any files? Let me know if you're also able to see the content in Dropbox.

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pomogacs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey!

Im not sure, because I stopped manually, when dropbox wanted to upload my dekstop.

No, I didn't delete anything from the trash. And the file explorer found nothing.

When I deleted my desktop via the dropbox link, the system throw a window about the "files are too large" or something else, and would you like to delete it, I pressed yes, beause I tought, I will delete only from dropbox.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Pomogacs, thanks for the speedy reply! 

It sounds like you permanently deleted the files off of your device then. In this case, there's not much we would be able to do, if any. 

Can you also check your events page, and let me know what you can find there?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pomogacs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Zero activity in my events from that action, I deleted permanently.

Thanks for your fast help! 🙂

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy I could help, @Pomogacs!

If you need me, I will be one post away. 😎

Megan
dropbox.com/support

aquilaconsulting
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have been trying to find out where important court documents went for sometime with no reply. They were deleted directly from the Dropbox platform and only some files can be retrieved not all. Very sad. No replies from support. Many tickets submitted. Sadly I don't think Dropbox is the product or company it used to be.

sherry410
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! CHATTING WITH SUPPORT MADE IT WORSE.

I did not want dropbox to take all of my files off of my computer and put it on their website.  Also, I was getting multiple duplicates using dropbox.  I chatted with a couple of support people and got nowhere except for the last time, this person totally screwed up my files and they look nothing like what my dropbox used to look like, the pictures in the files were gone replaced by something else that was not a picture, and deleted a file called "everything".  I got an email afterwards, recently, saying that that file is gone and I cannot get it back.  I am a super realistic artist and all of my reference pictures for future painting (that I spent a fortune to have professional photographers and models) are gone and all of the pictures of my paintings and exhibits are gone.  I even see here that dropbox took all of my pictures that were in my camera (and then saved on my computer) and put them on their website and anything else I was working on in photoshop etc, was taken. I think I turned off dropbox and I thought I had downloaded all of the files but most are still here and I have greyed out pictures and files here and on my computer.  a few still exist. I am freaking out.  I am afraid of chatting because they made it worse.  I want to delete dropbox but how do I get back my files and pictures and that huge file that the support person deleted and it says i can't get  back.

Please someone, help me!  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sherry410, I understand your frustration over this matter.

In order for our team to assist further, please get in contact with the support team via email for them to investigate in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Niobrara
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I lost two years of files and folders when I deleted Dropbox as a result of the same series of events as described in the preceding thread.  How can Dropbox allow this to happen, absolutely unnecessary and irresponsible on the part of Dropbox..!!    

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Niobrara Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?