cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

renamed folder shows former name when shared

renamed folder shows former name when shared

greta2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

A folder has been renamed, from Diligence December 2020 to Diligence March 2021.

A new person has been invited to view the folder.

The link automatically generated by dropbox says the name of the folder is the former name, Diligence December 2020!

How do you ensure that the correct, updated name of the folder appears in the invitation?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes, you would need to create a new folder, move all the files in to it  and then share that with everybody if you them to have that name. But, remember - they can change the name themselves... to anything they want.

The reason it keeps the first name given is that anybody, at all, who has that shared folder can rename it or move it as they like. So you cannot then change the name yourself. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You need to create a totally new shared folder @greta2 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/rename-move-shared-folder

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

greta2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't understand the purpose of renaming folders then! If I understand the suggestion solution correctly, it is necessary to create a new folder with the correct name and then copy all of the material from the old folder and all of its sub folders into the new space? 

What is the purpose of renaming folders if no one is able to see the new name?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes, you would need to create a new folder, move all the files in to it  and then share that with everybody if you them to have that name. But, remember - they can change the name themselves... to anything they want.

The reason it keeps the first name given is that anybody, at all, who has that shared folder can rename it or move it as they like. So you cannot then change the name yourself. 

DaveNuck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Wow..... Not good.   You may want to reconsider this.

When I share a folder, I want it to look like it does for me.

Just because I changed the folder name (weeks ago), my team should not get old information.

This was kinda uncomfortable for me today.

dianekTRM
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We had some real confusion in our organization because folder names had been changed (years ago) but when that folder was shared with someone new, it appeared to them under the OLD name.  I don't get how you can successfully share folders and files if each user can rename them to whatever they want.  We wasted a lot of time today trying to find things because it appeared under different names for different users.  How does an organization with multiple users make this work?

Kernow_Man
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Exactly!  I share a folder of song lyrics and chords with fellow band members, but when emails go out to tell shared recipients of recent changes it says "Frank & John's Song Sheets", even though Frank left two years ago !!!!  When I log in to Dropbox all folders show the correct names.  This is plain daft! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kernow_Man wrote:

When I log in to Dropbox all folders show the correct names.

This is because anyone can rename a shared folder so it's relevant to them. If I created a folder that I was going to share with you I would name it Kernow_Man. When you receive that folder the name means nothing to you, so you can rename it to Rich or whatever you want so you know it's linked to me. Changing the name like that affects only you.

If you want to change the name of a shared folder so it's the same for everyone, you need to create a new share with the name you want and invite everyone to the new share.

Kernow_Man
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

If that's the only way to get rid of 'Frank' then I guess I'll have to do that...

I still don't understand why there are NO folders in my Dropbox (and I'm the owner and administrator) that include the name 'Frank'.  It only appears when Dropbox sends emails to sharees (and me) about my having added something. So where is that hidden??

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kernow_Man wrote:

I still don't understand why there are NO folders in my Dropbox (and I'm the owner and administrator) that include the name 'Frank'.

You must have renamed your copy the shared folder at some point.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Kernow_Man Explorer | Level 4
    dianekTRM New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?