cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting licenses

Deleting licenses

David L.6
New member | Level 1

Is way to difficult and convoluted and took much more time than it should have. This is the worst experience I've had with Dropbox. You normally make things easy. This was a pain in the ass, and for no good reason. I have deleted members months ago, didn't re-assign their licenses and was continuing to get charged. So I wanted to reduce the licenses. It was damn hard to find the way to do this. You should present the links in the same place as the delete team members location......very annoying

28 Replies 28

Jon (.
New member | Level 1

This is what happens when small companies that were once nimble and fair become big and need to deliver profits to VC's or Wall Street. The invitation Dropbox is to prove us wrong on this issue of adjustments to the annual license plan and do the right thing. Respectfully submitted. 

Israel L.2
New member | Level 1

This is TERRIBLE.  My account has many unused licenses.

Trick #1, removing a user and deleting their data = still keep paying.   

Trick #2, no apparent way to delete.  Help section describes links that don't exist. 

Trick #3, lots of Add User buttons.  But remove users licensing first go to "renew now".  What kind of dirty trick is being played here.  

For me 30% of my billings for 6 months.  Maybe more like 12 months.

Is this Dark Pattern of hiding removing licenses contributing 15% to DB revenue? Less? More?

update:

I wrote support.  

Support gave me the same "answer" suggesting I tap on buttons that are not present.  

I pointed this out. 

After 3 days I nudged them again.

They replied they've removed the licenses for me!  How kind...?  No, not kind.  This shuts me up but doesn't' solve the problem for the less-persistant.  

Dear Dropbox, it appears this is intentional? 

Mikel L.
New member | Level 1

I'm also having the problem, the "help article" refers to buttons that don't exist. No where can I find a reduce license button. I'm continually paying for licenses I can't use.

DropBox, this is silly, client alienating behaviour. Just add a "manage licenses" link that lets me set the licenses. And while you are at it, of COURSE you can prorate the downgrade...You manage to have the code to prorate the upgrade!

craig b.16
New member | Level 1

GD !!  I thought I was the only one.   Now I read all these comments.  You can bet your ass I am looking for a way to LEAVE drop box and will NOT be adding any of my new business with this WICKED and DECEPTIVE practice.  Congress should make this a FELONY and put the CEO in prison.  Do that to a few of these scammers and watch how they suddenly change to being customer focused. Now I will have email them and complain and get them to do it for me.  And since I am just transitioning, you can bet your ass we will NOT be using dropbox on any of our NEW accounts.  What a sick twisted joke.  Any investors reading this? I will make sure to take the time I have wasted here and email them too. It is all public information.

Rob A.3
New member | Level 1

Completely agree with the sentiments above.

Why have they even got two systems here, Licences/Members on almost every system we use you pay per user. Delete a user and you no longer pay for that user. Simple.

This is a clear attempt to trick users into paying for a service they don't need.

Disgrace full business practice. Shame on you Dropbox.

Hello K.
New member | Level 1

Yep. In the same boat. Did everyone have to email support directly to fix this issue or did y'all just cancel your accounts completely?

Peter G.73
New member | Level 1

I am on a month-to-month subscription through Dropbox Business. When you have spare licenses on your account, you can remove them by a hard-to-find "Reduce licenses" link that shows up next to "Cancel Dropbox Business" (see bottom-right in screenshot below).

Again, this seems to ONLY show up when you have spare, unused licenses.

jeannefer57
Explorer | Level 4

I have been all over DROPBOX for the last hour trying to cancel a license and you make it imposssible on purpose !!  That is a  bad business practice  and today THIS  customer is very frustrated and discontent with your service .  

First , just searchcing for the subject of  " how to remove or cancel a license"   in your HELP Center is difficult and then the instructions you post  instruct a path which is nowhere to be found .  You indicate to go to the ADMIN CONSOLE and there click on ACCOUNT and then RENEW NOW ......

Well ,  "ACCOUNT"  is nowhere to be found from  my  ADMIN CONSOLE today , so my question is  when do you have it appear and how am I to know when it will pop up for me to be able to use ??  Am I supposed to log in every day ten times a day , to one lucky day stumble upon the option "ACCOUNT" so I may continue with my request ?    You say I can not access the renew option until 60 days prior to renewal date ...what on earth does that mean  ??   if I am billed monthly, the 60 day period makes no sense !

Purchasing licenses and canceling licenses should require equal efforts . But since it isn't , then I definitely will think TWICE next time I want to buy a license  and perhaps NOT do so .

PRussell23
New member | Level 2

We are having the same trouble managing our licenses that's been expressed in other posts.  I have contacted Support directly in numerous emails.  I received replies, each with a different ticket number, but all with 1 of 2 exact same responses, "I will be having this case reviewed by members of our team who specialize in this kind of issue. They'll review it carefully and we will get back to you as soon as possible."  OR "I am currently investigating this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible."  In every email I write or reply I include a request to be contacted by phone or be given a name and number to call to address the changes required in our account.  Not once has my request been answered.

This has been ongoing for over 2 months.  Our Company will not continue to do business with a vendor who is this difficult to work with.

Dropbox, I love your service and product personally and recommended it to my employer.  Now you've brought my judgement into question and soured me on your company.  I guess Box was right afterall.

Sincerely,

PRussell23

JanVdE
New member | Level 2

Found the trick. In the 'billing - licenses - manage licenses' section, just type a negative number. If you want to go from 10 to 8 licenses, just type -2. Then the remove licenses button appears out of nowhere.

Hope this helps!

Need more support?