cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox full because of shared folder

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Michele A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, i have a dropbox account and the free space that i have is full because of the files inside the shared folder that i have with some friends.
Is there a way to avoid that the shared folder that uses the free space of my account without cancelling those folder?
Because i have no more space and i haven't uploaded any files

Excuse me for my english but i found problem on trying to traduce this message from my language

132 Replies 132

Ben L.26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
  • So bye now [...]

Oh, thank goodness. You're leaving. Maybe now the actual complaints about this actual problem can be heard.

• [...] just one thing [...]

Oh for f--...

• [...] go look up what troll means, and then examine your post for similarities. I think you will be surprised (actually that's sarcasm, I doubt you would get it).

Your attempt at having the last word would have gone better had you actually taken your own advice and looked up the definition. Let me Google that for you. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define:trolling

1. "make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."

My aim was to point out that there's a very real problem here, which I'll state explicitly again for the record: At no point during the process of sharing or joining a folder is any user made aware that the use of shared folders, one of the main features of the Dropbox platform, comes at the cost of storage capacity.

The only other task I had hoped to accomplish was to make you understand that your reasoning--indeed, your entire argument--is flawed. "Access to data," or however you word it, is not what Dropbox touts as a feature; they market storage capacity. To promise users a capacity of storage only to turn around an take some of it away without alerting the user is underhanded and deceitful.

• 🙂

Being oblivious to how ignorant and conceited you make yourself look must be great. Prove me wrong by either acknowledging or rebutting my arguments (the two I've reiterated, in bold, above). Your refusal to do so does not magically make me a troll.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sorry Ben, but someone posted making comment about me (and to me), if you don't think someone should be allowed to reply back to such things, I suggest you take yourself off to China.

To address your concerns.

I was saying Bye to Steve, he said he was leaving. Your inability to have your issues resolved to your satisfaction however should not reply on this either way.

I assume that was a marked out swear word, which in itself isnt so bad, but on a open forum and when your posting about others making offensive remarks, bad form.

If you would notice you last posted a considerably large post, one I didn't feel needed any rehashing of a repeating reply, hence why I had not. My post today was not in regard to this and was just a short post in reply to Steve. So not a last word, but a reply to a post directed to me.

Ignorance is not knowing while arrogance is ignoring facts in play and wanting it your own way. As such I don't worry when some people think others are ignorant as most times that comes from arrogant and conceited people. 

I wont address your issue again as we have been over this before, and simply restating eachs position on it doesnt change anything. but It would make me a troll as its all been done before.

Ben L.26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In that case, I would ask you to stay on topic. Obviously, Steve is leaving because of the problem I've outlined very clearly, and which the bulk of the other users in this thread have experienced first-hand.

You are very much allowed to reply in order to bid him goodbye; these are, after all, public forums and I'm sure the mods have no problem with that. However, your post contains nothing that actually adds to this discussion. In fact, it reads to me as if you're looking down and laughing at this person who came here only to cast in his opinion that the issue at hand is real, and that Dropbox will be losing a user because of it.

You've gone on for several posts now since I presented my argument as to why, exactly, this business of taking users' promised space without alerting them is a problem. Your excuse is that it would be a rehash? Since my points are in response to the ones you'd be rehashing, they are ultimately insufficient anyway.

I'll admit, I've been a bit emotional writing a few of these posts, and I can become a bit antagonizing when that happens, but never has that been my goal. If you want my contributions here to be devoid of emotional influence, so be it. To clarify: I am asking for a clear, concise counter-argument to the statements in bold from my previous post. You have yet in this thread to provide such argument, and my previous posts outline exactly why.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

No ben you cant keep your cake and eat it too.

That YOU say I have yet to provide such an argument, does not ultimately make that true.

As has been said we are simply rehashing what has been said already, that I state a different position than yours does not make you right and I wrong, and privilege you with expecting me to change what I say to address what you have already had addressed.

Feel free to raise any new points but repeating the same ones will not get you a different response. No matter how many times you attempt it.

hop h.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Interesting (albeit confrontational & a bit confusing) discussion.

Question: I am attempting to consolidate a few non-paid Dropbox Accounts into a Paid/Pro account. Have done the share / accept invite thing - but one of the freebie accounts indicates "FULL" - & I cannot access the content without upgrading to Pro. (Which I've already done on the aforementioned Pro account.)

Any dropbox savants know how I can access the content of the "Sorry! Full!" account withOUT upgrading to Pro - just need access long enough to share files to Pro account & then delete from non-Pro/free account.

Have submitted to dropbox, but got the "we'll get back to you in 2 or 3 days" reply.

Thanks for a thought provoking jousting match, er, discussion in previous posts.  🙂

___

One more: Once I've created "Shared" folder on Pro account - and accept invite via old (free) account - how do I SAFELY retain the files on the Pro account (i.e., insure that they are no longer "shared" - so that I can delete "source" folder on the free/non-paid/non-Pro account?

Advance apologies for the verbosity of this post. I just KNOW there's someone who has the answer(s).

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

hop h. : it is rejecting the share as the folder you're using holds data that the free account cant now hold since it full.

1) Instead you can share a empty folder to the free account. 

2) Alternatively you can share any folder from the free account to the pro account.

3) Alternatively you can move all the files of the free account into one folder and then create a LINK to the folder, and when logged in with the PRO account use the link, and you will get an option to copy all content into your pro account (same as sharing really but not onwardly shared)

--

If the folder is shared (1 or 2) after the pro account has the files, you can select the sharing options at the end of the folder listing and stop sharing it, ensure you select to keep your copy (might not even be able to not do that if your on the folder owner side)

If the folder was copied using (3) then it is not shared and you have the data.

Derek B.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Interesting and heated discussion. A few points:

firstly Dropbox explains what is discussed here in one of their help center notes: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/storage-space It is worth noting that different approaches to storage quota calculation are used for business and for free accounts,

secondly, after reading the discussion I do believe that the major complain was brushed aside by some as irrelevant (or not worth commenting). The fact remains that, that at no point when using Dropbox, I was made aware that the use of shared folders comes at the cost of storage capacity (yes, this info is available if you specifically search for it). Dropbox can adopt any model they feel works best for them, but not clearly warning about that fact amounts to unethical marketing practice.

just my 2c.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rehashing the same stuff again wont change it.

1) A shared folder takes NO storage capacity. (folders are not files)

2) Files that are in your account take storage capacity.

3) Files in a shared folder are in your account (see 2)

Derek B.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

You are rehashing explanation of the mechanism, clear, explained before, explained in the Help Center note I linked.

I am commenting on what I consider to be unethical marketing practices. To repeat: at no point I was made aware that the use of shared folders comes at the cost of storage capacity. My guess: majority of Dropbox users are not aware of that (again, this is me guessing, no reliable data exists). Any comments on that? No, I do not think so ;>

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Re : "Any comments on that? No, I do not think so :>"

Imply someone wont reply just shows an argument that has come up against a wall of difference and now all you are just trying to yell down anyone that says anything different.

You are saying they are misleading you because they didnt tell you, except they did, everything in your dropbox takes up the storage space, so the shared folder files are in your dropbox so they are taking up space. You knew that, you just didn't want to accept the logic of it. 

Dropbox is a storage space just like a bookcase only in the cloud, so...

If you are sold a bookcase that fits 2000 books, and with that bookcase you are given the ability to share books with others and have those books available to you and the original owner, and you are invited to share in a section of books that are in someones 5,000,000 book bookcase,

That does not make your bookcase capable of holding 5,002,000 Books! EOL.

Need more support?