cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download large file using browser fails before end

download large file using browser fails before end

jeff m.50
New member | Level 1

Using Firefox have downloaded 7.4GB of a 7.9GB file. Resume continues the process and shows the duration remaining but after a few minutes it stops again with message "Failed - dropbox.com". Have repeated this for many days with no improvement. The target folder shows <file-name>.part file with 7.49GB size. During the resume the <file-name> shows with zero size. Have tried with IE also but with similar results. Am downloading to a local drive to avoid any LAN issues.

Can anyone advise how to solve this problem and download the whole file please?

Thanks.

35 Replies 35

Kevin B.3
New member | Level 1

For free accounts, they changed the limit.  I used to be able to DL large files all the time, no problem.  Not now.  Read all the comments.

Ed
Dropbox Staff

Hi Kevin

The file limit is on web. If you use the desktop client you shouldn't have problems to download/upload large files.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

BMac
Helpful | Level 5

Kevin, I absolutly agree!  Something changed about 3-4 weeks ago.  Someone says something different they are FOS.  I am a paying customer!  I have had this problem escalated for about 3 weeks.

I have used this service as a trial for about a year and now been a paying customer of a Business account for another year after the tests were successfull.

The majority of our files are simple DVD images.(ISO's).  Not music or videos etc..  These worked just fine for almost 2 years with 0 complaints or issues.  It is now Virtually imposible for us to DL the file over a regular network.  Over a very fast network we can DL the 4.5G iso's in about 7-12 min every time without issue.  If the dl is over 2hrs they will fail virtually 95% of the time.

There was a change!  DropBox DID do something.  We have the same users all over Canada using the same PC's, the same browsers, the same internets and what we have been doing for 2 years now no longer works.

I mean it is pretty simple.  The problem is the support stinks.  I have asked many times....why do you keep asking me the same questions, here is the link that use to work.....TRY IT YOURSELF then tell me why you cannot DL the file.  Three months and they are still asking the same questions and recomending the same things.

Ed, you recomend that the Client is required?...  I am missing something.  I put a file up on the server.  When an end user needs a file I send them a link.  The file should downlowd as it always has.  If DropBox can now longer provide a service for large files just say so.  Maybe if Dropbox NOW has trouble being able to provide this service they could do what other large companies do, build a DL manager into the DL.  As for Marks response, it is not clear whether he is jut being rude and suggesting if you don't like the crappy service you are free to leave, or I am just missing something.  

As Kevin suggested, if your customers are complaining it is not the time to be buligerant, it is time to listen and ask questions and try to help.

For the DB support people, It should not be hard to look up my case and find my links. 

MG2
New member | Level 2

Yes, had this same problem when downloading using Browser. Ended up clicking on the dropbox icon in the taskbar and then copy the file using Windows explorer works a lot better. The file that I had was 2.1GB and it took only few minutes to complete.

z3r0trust
New member | Level 2

Hi, I got same problem. When I download my zip file from dropbox, it failed to downloaded. I tried approximately 30 times. Then installed desktop application dropbox on mac, still exist problem. really getting angry.  there are  files that more than 1GB and less than 1GB. please can you help me? And you dropbox team. I really appriate it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey z3r0trust

Thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Community! 

Based on your description, you can't download the folder from the website, since it exceeds the 1 GB in total size. Because this should be resolved once you switched to the desktop version of the application, could you please let me know whether you’re receiving any error messages or unusual behavior? 

Just to exclude the possibility of a syncing issue, could you please make sure that you are running the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application on your Mac? 

Will be awaiting your reply, so that we have this resolved together!

Kind regards,
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

JGRESTO
New member | Level 2
Hi Jane,
My files are smaller than 500MB and I can't download directly from the website. Only files up to 30mb on a connection of 150mbps.

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JGRESTO

Apologies for getting back to you in delay. Are you still experiencing this issue? 

Have you tried downloading the file in an incognito browsing window, so as to see whether this helps you resolve this issue? 

Please let me know here, I'd be glad to follow-up. 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Hdhk
New member | Level 2

I also got stuck trying to download files or folder via the website.

It is quite frustrating as it used to work well in the past.

Some suggestions / questions:

1. Where can we find a clear guideline on file sizes and folder sizes downloadable via the website, according to subscribed plans?

2. In any case, shouldn't the user be notified if the file exceeds the limit before starting a transfer, as to not waste time with failed transfers?

3. Similarly, it would be helpful to have information on approximate folder sizes in the web interface, to identify folders that are downloadable via the web platform.

Ash123
New member | Level 2

Same issue happening for me 😞

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    vsarpe New member | Level 2
    priya_kapoor New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Ash123 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?