cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can sort files by upload date, but people who see files can not

Helpful | Level 5

hey!

there is a problem I faced with: as an owner, I can sort files by upload date, however, people who can see files can not sort by upload date (at least on the mobile with "four squares" view). how can I solve this problem? (as an owner, I can sort on mobile either).

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: I can sort files by upload date, but people who see files can not

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @nesovsemsovsem, thanks for joining the community!

Could you let me know exactly where you’re seeing the ‘upload date’ option?

Currently on the mobile app and the site it should show the last modification date, which could be different to the upload date.

A screenshot showing this would help me greatly. Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Sorry for misunderstanding: last modified files. Also, I add a screenshot: it's on Russian, but it says "sorted by name" and near you can see an icon for view change. People with whom I shared files cannot click on "sorted by names" and change it. As an owner, I have "sorted by last modified files", but people still see "sorted by name".photo_2020-02-11 23.12.44.jpeg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the image, it looks like this is a shared link to a folder.

Shared links don’t save the option you chose while on the site, if you chose to sort by modification date. By default, they only show in alphabetical order.

If you want the files in a certain order, you can rename the files and number them 001.jpg, 002.jpg and so on, which will keep them in the numerical order you wish for them to have.

Hope this info helps!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks a lot! However, how to change the link for people to sort images?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks, sorry for not clarifying, it isn’t possible for users to sort by modification date on shared links.

They can only view links in alphabetical order. Hope this clears things up!

Jay

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Sorry for disturbing you... If the problem is that the link is shared, could it be solved if I change the type of link? Or there is only one link for only viewing? If so, will the Business account solve it? I really need people to sort by last modified, cause a lot of work has been done and now I can't rename all the files.

If it's impossible in every case, please, note, that in the further versions you can add this simple thing which will make work easier with Dropbox for many people. Unfortunately, in this case, I and my team will search for another product (with huge love to Dropbox in our hearts).

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Currently, shared links to folders can only be sorted alphabetically, and there isn’t an option to change that.

If you share a folder through Dropbox, directly to their Dropbox accounts, then users can sort files by modification date.

Bear in mind that they would need enough quota in their Dropbox account to add the shared folder.

Regarding your feedback, feel free to create a new post here for other users to vote on the idea!

Jay

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?