cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Dropbox account need to access files from shared links?

HappyHeart999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know this sounds like an ignorant newbie question, but....If I share a link to a file in my Dropbox with someone, do they have to have Dropbox in order to get the file or download it to their own device?  I am not using this for business and some of the people I share with don't have Dropbox; they either don't have it or don't have enough room left, so thought I'd ask.  Many thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@HappyHeart999 wrote:

If you're using a Share Link, no, a Dropbox account is not needed to view or download the file or folder you link to. The recipient may be prompted to to sign-in or create an account, but it's not necessary.

If you invite someone to a Shared Folder, a Dropbox acount is required.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@HappyHeart999 wrote:

If you're using a Share Link, no, a Dropbox account is not needed to view or download the file or folder you link to. The recipient may be prompted to to sign-in or create an account, but it's not necessary.

If you invite someone to a Shared Folder, a Dropbox acount is required.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?