cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove all shared links

remove all shared links

k s.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, I have many links in the links-list. Way to many. I take it that the files linked are accessible for anyone with the link. I want all these links removed with one command. It is too many to do it manually for each one.
Thanks

45 Replies 45

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Can you show me a way to "select all" in here.

Francisco... No, you can't select all on the links page (previously you referred to deleting files, not links).

Would moving the screenshots (like creating an "archive" folder within the screenshots folder and moving them in there) git rid of the links

Clay... Yes, as you've discovered, moving (or renaming, deleting) a file will delete the link to the file as well.

Nuno G.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I have created a gist with code to do this more or less automatically. 🙂

It basically clicks each delete button, waits for the modal to open, and then clicks the confirm button. It waits 1 second before clicking the next one. I didn't want to make all requests every 10 ms risking blocking my account. 😄

To use this just open your browser console (cmd + shift + j in chrome) and paste the code in the following link:

(This will only work until the page layout is changed...)

https://gist.github.com/nunogoncalves/e75294ea5a2762befdbf

If you want to costumize you can change the following variables:

var numOfLinksToDelete = 200;

var waitUntilNextLinkInMs = 1000;

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

k.s., There is an easy workaround to "delete all links": simply rename the root directory, or any directory in the path of said links. 

Nuno G.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That's not really an option if you don't want to rename the folder. For me the purpose of Dropbox is to keep my stuff organized, and renaming a folder might not be solution. Anyway, it's better than nothing.

Koen W.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox people,

As a Dropbox for Business user, I have a similar issue with links. As an admin, I can't get a nice overview of all the links created by all users. I can see them in the 'activity' list in the admin console, but not really filtered per person, per date,.... Not like you can list your own links.

Additionally, I don't like to restrict all links to my company by default - it makes it too hard for our people to share with clients, because it means they have to use the browser interface to adjust the permissions. At the same time though, that means I loose control over the links generated and how much of my company's information is readily accessible by outsiders. 

Two features requested:

1. Give the admin at leas a possibility to see all links and possibly 'bulk delete'

2. Give the admin a possibilty to have all links expire after a set time by default.

Please please, pretty please.

Koen

Craig M.29
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

what i just did is go to 'sharing' and de-activate the option to create links and then it deactivates all links. i will then re-enable to option to allow future links to be created. 

sang s.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We have about 1,000 files we have to make a URL link. In stead of clicking sharing button in each file, is there any function to make all 1,000 URL links at a time?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

If you are trying to build a web site, you should know that dropbox is not intended for web hosting. Using those links could work, but you might run into the download limit for your account.

No, I don't think there is a way to make 1000 links at one time. If there were, how would you use them?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

In stead of clicking sharing button in each file, is there any function to make all 1,000 URL links at a time?

No, you can't create share links en masse. If you have a Public folder (deprecated feature that is no longer added to newer accounts) and all the files are within it, then the link structure is the same for all files in Public. Only the file name and any sub-folder name would be different. In that scenario you can create a link to one file, and then just change the file name in the link for all the others.

Markus M.7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I totally +1 Koen’s request.

Not being able to see and manipulate sharing links on a per file basis is not very admin-like to begin with.

Until recently we circumvented this by just adding a suffix to the file name which resulted in the link being removed. Until last week that is, when Dropbox rolled out the new feature of links sticking even if you rename or move the file.

While this is a very nice and intelligent feature it killed the only option to easily and reliably make a file inaccessible without actually deleting it.

Deleting files is not an option for us. We have to keep everything we delivered at any given time.
Also renaming folders – let alone the root folder – is very clearly a no go.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

James H.40 New member | Level 1
    Derek L.6 New member | Level 1
    Ben P.16 New member | Level 1
    Clément C. Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?