cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Setting permissions for individual files

Explorer | Level 4

I am admin of a small group of CAD designers, working remotely from each other. I thought Dropbox Business would be good collaborative tool. We are working on a project whose CAD structure is:

Vehicle Assembly -> Main Assemblies -> Sub Assemblies -> Parts.

All of us will have the Vehicle Assembly CAD model open, but we will each be working on a different lower-level Sub Assembly or Part. I want to set individual permissions for Part files and Sub Assembly files, so that when we each save our work we cannot overwrite work that others have saved earlier.  The trouble is, The folder structure is such that the permissions cannot apply to the folder, but must apply to individual files within it. Files within the same folder need to have different permissions, so that only one person can write to it. Is that possible?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Setting permissions for individual files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Amzel,

Only folders can be shared with edit permissions currently, so you wouldn’t be able to share only specific files within a folder with edit access. You would have to give edit access to the whole folder to be able to edit the files within. 

I could suggest to have specific folders perhaps within both the Sub Assemblies and Parts for each member, giving the member edit access to their folder (and view access to the others) and adding the files they can edit within that folder.

Otherwise, if you prefer to keep the folder structure as it is, perhaps you could rename the files with the name of the person who is allowed to edit it. Then, should that file be edited by another by mistake, you can restore the previous version of the file before it was overwritten.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I’m more than happy to help - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Daphne - two constructive suggestions. I'll try the second.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I’m glad to hear that this was helpful for you @Amzel

Please don’t hesitate to ping me here if you have any other questions, I’m more than happy to help.

Hope you have a wonderful day ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?