cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot anymore open .kdbx file stored in Dropbox with KeePassDroid

Android: Kdbx files can only opened with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer which is wrong!

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6

Why can I open Keepass *.kdbx files only with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer?? It is no PDF. Why does the dropbox app does not let me choose a different App to open the file with? Why not use the android default app open selection??

55 Replies 55

tputkonen
Helpful | Level 5

I have stored my KeePass password file (.kdbx) in Dropbox, but cannot anymore open it with KeePassDroid. My setup has worked flawlessly for several years, but this week I noticed that Dropbox tries to open the file with "Drive PDF Viewer". I have not done any changes to settings, in Dropbox -> Settings -> Manage default apps there are no default apps set, and if I choose "Open with..." for this file, the PDF viewer is the only application I can select.

I'm using Android, Dropbox version 190.2.2.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @tputkonen, thanks for messaging the Community!

It’s possible that the file cannot be directly opened by the third party app any longer. Could you try instead exporting the file to the app to see if this is possible?

If it doesn't work, I'd recommend contacting the app developers to see if they can assist on this matter in more detail.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @kitingChris, thanks for joining the Community!

I've had another user contact us about this matter.

Could you check the info in this thread to see if this helps.

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Qwerty59
New member | Level 2
I was having the same problem on one phone, but not another. On the problem phone I uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled it. I was then able to get it to prompt me to select the option to open the file with keepass once. After a few trial and errors, I found that I should not select "ALWAYS" on the "open with" screen when selecting Keepass, always select "JUST ONCE", otherwise it reverts to trying to open up the file with a PDF reader. I also looked at settings > Manage Default Apps and that list is empty no matter what

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6
Having the exact same problem.

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6
Other apps like google drive or file manager let it open with keepass as intended.
They use the system default open with dialog. But Dropbox decided to implement it's own and treats keepass files as pdf without letting to choose an app.
Fix this asap! You destroy workflows...

JonCohen
Helpful | Level 5
My wife and I both have exactly the same problem. We've been using Dropbox with Keepassdroid for years. Now Dropbox tries to open with the Google drive pdf reader. We can still open the file with Keepassdroid directly, but can't get to it through the Dropbox app. Also same experience with having it work one time only after reinstalling Dropbox.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the updates. The Dropbox mobile app can only open files with a valid extension, and one associated with an app that has stated the extension can be opened by them. This is to prevent opening a spreadsheet on a image app for instance.

If the Keepassdroid app isn't showing as an option when opening via Dropbox, then it means that the developer would need to look into this, since the Android device doesn't have the extension registered to that app, and thus neither does the Dropbox app.

After glancing at some search results and recent reviews, it appears users are experiencing the same issue with other cloud providers as well.

I hope they're able to investigate this matter for you in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

tputkonen
Helpful | Level 5

It seems that this functionality has been broken by Dropbox update and this is completely unacceptable. I don't understand why the application has to prevent opening a file using "wrong" application. Now it's doing completely same thing (opening password file with PDF viewer)!

Need more support?