cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot anymore open .kdbx file stored in Dropbox with KeePassDroid

Android: Kdbx files can only opened with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer which is wrong!

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6

Why can I open Keepass *.kdbx files only with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer?? It is no PDF. Why does the dropbox app does not let me choose a different App to open the file with? Why not use the android default app open selection??

55 Replies 55

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6
Why is it then offered to be opened as PDF? This answer is totally wrong. Since other apps correctly offer opening with keepass. Dropbox does not use the android internal open with functionality. Instead you choose to implement it on your own.
It is not a fault by keepass it is yours.
But hey then I better switch to nextcloud. This app instead offers me to open it with keepass droid.
Congrats Dropbox for getting me to switch.

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6

Hello @Jay unfortunatelly the answers do not help. Mainly because they are wrong. Other apps - that use the android internal "open with" dialog - do open .kdbx files correctly. Only Dropbox INSISTS on opening them with Google Drive PDF Viewer. 
Since other apps open them correctly this issue is caused by dropbox. 
Unfortunatelly I rely on dropbox to synchronize my keepass files and need to open it from there. 
Please fix this ASAP. At least let users freely choose the app they want to use or better use the android system "open with" instead of trying to invent the wheel new.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

As mentioned in the other thread, some users have experienced similar issues with other cloud providers, so it isn't related to Dropbox. 

I'd recommend contacting the developer of the Keepass app for further assistance on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6

> As mentioned in the other thread, some users have experienced similar issues with other cloud providers, so it isn't related to Dropbox. 

@Jay 

As mentioned in the other thread THIS IS NOT THE CASE! 
With other cloud providers it works PERFECT.

Opening from other apps is working PERFECT.

So it is NOT an issue of keepass but an issue of dropbox.

Dropbox does NOT use system internal "open with" but its own implementation. 

I don't know why you pretend to ignore this issue instead of helping to solve it. 
But Okay then I will switch to Nextcloud. Provides the same functionality and works with my keepass files. 

Dropbox is getting worse in the few latest updates! 

tputkonen
Helpful | Level 5

Now it seems to work again (version 192.2.2).

JonCohen
Helpful | Level 5

Still not working for me on 192.2.2. Perhaps they are testing some experiimental fix by changing server-side configuration (without changing the dropbox binary).

wmacghee
Explorer | Level 4

Exporting the file (from Dropbox) to open with Keepassdroid is not a satisfactory suggestion. The point is that if a new entry is made into the database, this then needs to replace the version stored on Dropbox. 
This worked well, perfectly even, until you geniuses decided to fix it. And no, the file extension is known to the Android system, hence it opens it correctly when it is exported.  
I'm driven off your platform, probably.

Institor
Helpful | Level 5
For those who have this problem, toggle "offline access" on kdbx file (maybe several times). In one state or another (whether offline mode is on or off, seemingly random) keepassdroid selector appears when you open the kdbx. Make shure to check "always", problem solved (after that kdbx always opens in keepassdroid, no matter if offline is on or off). Works for me on xiaomi mi9 with miui rom.

wmacghee
Explorer | Level 4

Holy Cow!

It Works!

It Works, It works, it works.

I had stopped testing replacement software, due to frustration. So this is supreme.

thank you!

Will MacGhee

JonCohen
Helpful | Level 5
This sort of works for me. However, if you then kill the Keepassdroid app and the dropbox app, it goes back to a failing state until you toggle again.
Need more support?