cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SELECTIVE SYNC DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY AND NEVER HAS

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

First of all, I find it appalling that with all the money we pay your company there is absolutely no way of getting support help or speaking to someone. I am certainly going to do everything I can to move our company to one of your superior competitors.

Now as for the problem. selective sync does not work properly and never has. No matter how many times I check the boxes I want synced, dropbox resets this to its own bizarre, randomized set of folders which do not in any way match what I checked. And that is just the first in an endless of problems...

And the joke is, everyone knows it. This poorly coded piece of garbage is fraught with errors, bugs and a lack of functionality. I understand you are sure that your monopoly is unassailable. and it doesn't matter how shitty your product is because people are stuck with it. But that isn't true for anyone, including dropbox.

As one of our primary dropbox users my recommendation is going to be to move to a better service which can handle something as simplistic folder syncing.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: SELECTIVE SYNC DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY AND NEVER HAS

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

First of all, I find it appalling that with all the money we pay your company there is absolutely no way of getting support help or speaking to someone. I am certainly going to do everything I can to move our company to one of your superior competitors.

You can open a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support - tickets take on average 3 business days, with priority for Pro accounts.  

This link is at the bottom of every forum page, every help article and is actually linked from the body of most help articles as well.  

Dropbox for Business accounts have a dedicated phone number available in their admin panel, where they can get through to an account manager and help desk specifically for them.

I use Selective Sync extensively myself, and have never had an issue with it - there certainly hasn't been a massive amount of complaints about it in these forums, so it doesn't look like there is an inherent problem with Selective Sync as a feature and it would seem that your issues are more related to your specific circumstances than a widespread problem.

So if you are at all interested in actually resolving your issue rather than just ranting, either open a support ticket at www.dropbox.com/support or ask your Dropbox For Business administrator to use the dedicated support phone number to raise the issue on your behalf.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

You can't resolve my issue because your company does not have the ability to write syncing code. So a solution is obviously not coming.

You are either *removed* or ignroant, But there are a massive amount of complaints about your selective sync on your message boards, and all over the internet. In fact, there are a few official apologies from dropbox for selective sync errors. So let's just stop the pretending.

The idea that you can't reproduce it is absurd. Dropbox reps have confirmed reproducing it. The client does not, by design, respect what you decide to sync. You can uncheck everything, come back 5 minutes later and the settings have changed. You cannot stop new folders from being automatically added. The awful UI barely functions at all, assuming it is able to load your folder list. No part of this client work properly.

And rather than do anything about it. You just fill the internet with excuses and *removed* like this response. You guys are proof that "agile" programming by lazy tech monopolies results in the *removed* code possible.

Feel free to fix the software we are paying for at any time you want. I doubt I will be a customer long enough to see it.

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

This is a public forum, do NOT use profanity or abusive language or I will close this thread.

But there are a massive amount of complaints about your selective sync on your message boards, and all over the internet.

I've been active on these forums for more than 8 years now, and I have yet to see these massive amount of complaints that you seem to think exist.

The idea that you can't reproduce it is absurd. Dropbox reps have confirmed reproducing it. The client does not, by design, respect what you decide to sync. You can uncheck everything, come back 5 minutes later and the settings have changed. You cannot stop new folders from being automatically added. The awful UI barely functions at all, assuming it is able to load your folder list. No part of this client work properly.

As I said, I use Selective Sync extensively, and I have no problems - just because you are having issues does NOT mean everyone has the same issues.  You need to raise a support ticket so your issue can be looked into.

And rather than do anything about it. You just fill the internet with excuses and *removed* like this response.

What excuses?  I gave you several ways in which to raise a support ticket, but you seem to be more content to simply rant on abusively.

Feel free to fix the software we are paying for at any time you want. I doubt I will be a customer long enough to see it.

Have you raised a support ticket?  

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So your response is, "I don't like your accurate description of our software, so I will close the thread rather than address what you are saying."

Why would I raise a support ticket when there is no issue? I mean you are absolutely sure nothing is wrong, so why would you recommend I open a ticket?

Yeah, there only a couple thousand posted issues about selective sync bugs in your own forums. Let alone stack overflow or Google where the number grows to the hundred thousands. YEAH those are pretty tough to find. Took me all of 15 seconds. And most of those are ongoing or have no meaningful response. In fact, there are multiples ones opened today, all with no meaningful responses. 

Dropbox support tickets are a joke. I might as well write my issue on a piece of paper and burn it. The official response I got is that it is supposed to be broken.

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

As Richard stated, this is a public forum for Dropbox users of all ages, and can be considered a family forum, so please refrain from use of profanity and abusive language.

To add to what Richard has said, let me first start off by saying that we, as forum Super Users, are not employees of Dropbox. We do not work for them, nor are we affiliated in any way. We simply have shown a passion for the service, and enjoy helping the community. Please keep in mind, both now and in the future, that we are normal users of the service just like you.

Josh A. said:

As Richard has said, you may submit a support ticket at https://www.dropbox.com/support. Tickets typically take 3 business days, with priority given to paying users. Additionally, you can track the status of your tickets here.

Please note that your position in the queue is based off of your latest ticket, and it is not on a per ticket basis. This means that creating multiple tickets about the same issue is will delay a response to your issue.

Josh A. said:

As Richard has stated, simply because you are having the issue doesn't mean everyone else is. In conjunction with that, just because we can't produce the issue doesn't mean it we're denying it happens to you. We're simply saying we can't reproduce it.

Josh A. said:

But there are a massive amount of complaints about your selective sync on your message boards, and all over the internet.

Like, Richard, I have been here a long time. In the 4 years I have been around these forums, I have never seen any complaints about Selective Sync that have not been a quick fix after submitting a support ticket. Again, this doesn't mean this isn't an issue for you, but I have never seen a "massive amount of complaints" that you mentioned.

Once again, I strongly suggest you file a support ticket via the link that both Richard and I have linked you to. Also note that since we as Super Users are not employees of Dropbox, as I have stated, we cannot check and manage support tickets ourselves, so please keep in mind that if your ticket seems to be taking longer than usual, that it is not our fault, and there's nothing we can do to escalate your ticket.

Did this post help you? If so, please mark it for some Kudos below.

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so, please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post fail to resolve your issue? If so, please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember, we cannot see over your shoulder, so be as descriptive as possible!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The only thing I'm saying is dropbox already knows this is an issue, they know this a problem and they will not address it. Sending in a support ticket obviously has no effect.

You are saying you have not seen these problems or mention of these problems. Just searching selective sync on your forum brings up thousands, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

The client is coded very, very poorly and is updated very, very rarely. It has many very troublesome bugs by design and by accident, and I am imploring dropbox to address them. But it is becoming more and more obvious the company absolutely no interest in even listening to their customers, let alone fixing this app.

There is no working selective sync feature in dropbox, that much is obvious. The barely functional opt out procedure should not be described as selective syncing because it isn't. And that is code, not an opinion. So fine, I'm just going to move to the competition, and get the word out that dropbox is simply misrepresenting their product.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The majority of the forum posts pertaining to Selective Sync are from those that think it is broken, but in reality don't understand how it works or what its intended purpose is. They expect that it does one thing, and when it doesn't, they claim that it's broken and believe Dropbox is refusing to fix it. That doesn't make it broken just because someone thinks it is, nor does it mean that it's a bug. That's simply a misunderstanding of how a feature works.

A good example of this, and one of the move vocal complaints which even you mentioned, is new folders being added to a computer that has used Selective Sync to remove other folders. This is done be design. If you don't want those folders to sync to the computer then you use Selective Sync to remove them. It's an opt-out service for new folders; not opt-in. That doesn't make it broken. It's how the feature was designed to work. If you disagree, then that's an opinion of how you think it should work.

Your feedback is valued and I'm sure Dropbox appreciates it (they do read these forums, even if they don't respond often). I'm moving this thread to Product Feedback where it will be more visible to them. The Desktop Client Builds category is for posts related to new version releases.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?