cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question about Azure AD and Dropbox. Can you help?

I have a question about Azure AD and Dropbox. Can you help?

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hey there,

Has anyone tried connecting Azure AD to Dropbox? Does it provision groups? The instructions only mention about provisioning users https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/microsoft-azure-ad 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for all the additional details mxoh, I'd happily follow-up with you on this question more closely

So as to further address your inquiries in the best possible way (& since this may need to be addressed by a specialized colleague), I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email (on the email address connected to your Forum profile). 

At your convenience, please check your inbox for my latest message and let me know here if you have any issues locating it. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email, so as to move forward on the matter together. I'm wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @mxoh - thanks for posting your question here. 

While on the setup process, admins can choose if they'd like to sync AD groups to Dropbox. Meaning that those AD groups would be created as Dropbox groups and have the users added to it. The admin can select whether they’d like to use the same AD group (earlier chosen to sync users e.g. "Dropbox") to also sync their groups. An alternative group can be selected to sync groups e.g. "Dropbox-Groups" essentially meaning you manage your users through one group "Dropbox" and your groups through another group "Dropbox-Groups".

Moreover, when the AD connector runs, it checks the configured AD sync group and compares it to Dropbox, then does one of the following group actions:
​​1. Creates Dropbox group(s) if the group doesn’t exist in Dropbox already
​​2. Add members to groups, if applicable (only if users are also in their respective group of users that will sync). 

Additionally, have in mind that changes from Dropbox Business will not sync back to Active Directory. Once created, deleting a group from Active Directory will not delete the corresponding group from Dropbox Business. Instead, all users will be removed from the Dropbox group if either:

​​1.  All members are removed from the sync group in Active Directory
​​2. The sync group e.g. "Dropbox-Groups" is removed from the Configuration step. 

I hope this helps clear this up and please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Cheers!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Thanks @Walter

I have used the on-premise AD connector to sync groups before. For my qns, I am referring to using Azure AD to sync groups? Cause the instructions seems to only be for provisioning users.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I am sorry, are you trying to sync groups or just provision them using the Azure AD connector?  Did you get the chance to review this page  yet?

Let me know and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
I am just wondering if it is possible to sync groups with Azure AD and Dropbox referring to the instructions of Azure and Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/microsoft-azure-ad

The page you provided of the AD Connector is for on-premise AD right? I have done on-premise AD syncing of users and groups with Dropbox before. Now if I want to do it for Azure AD which should be a different set of instructions right?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I am sorry @mxoh - Are you hitting an error following these instructions somewhere? If so, please send a screenshot of it to have a better visual of what is not working for you correctly. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
@Walter The background of this is that I already have an on-premise AD set up with my Dropbox to sync users and groups. Now I am considering moving over to Azure AD instead and sync users and groups from there. But from the instructions for Azure and Dropbox, I can't tell if groups can be synced from Azure AD or not which is why I posted in this forum to seek clarification. I would prefer not to start to do the set-up of Azure AD and Dropbox before finding out that it cannot be done.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for all the additional details mxoh, I'd happily follow-up with you on this question more closely

So as to further address your inquiries in the best possible way (& since this may need to be addressed by a specialized colleague), I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email (on the email address connected to your Forum profile). 

At your convenience, please check your inbox for my latest message and let me know here if you have any issues locating it. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email, so as to move forward on the matter together. I'm wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

v-wasmit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did you ever fiind out how to provision groups in the Azure portal?  I have been working on this myself and it turns out when i navigate in the Azure Portal

Active Directory - Enterprise Applications - Dropbox - Provisioning - and scroll down to mapppings

We only see 1 link for provisioning users (and most applicaitons have 2 links )

Provision users

Provision Groups

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @v-wasmit - sorry to hear that.

Can you first make sure you're following these steps here to do this? To learn more about user provisioning with the AD Connector you can also refer to this page.

Having said that and as I'd really like to help with this, can you elaborate on what exactly is not working for you and maybe provide a screenshot so we can have a visual of this as well? 

Let me know what you find please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

A-CAST Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    v-wasmit New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    mxoh Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?