cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android ACTION_GET_CONTENT from Dropbox sources

Android ACTION_GET_CONTENT from Dropbox sources

Andhie W.
New member | Level 1

Device OS: Lollipop 5.0

When using the Intent ACTION_GET_CONTENT and selecting Dropbox from the Storage Provider, Dropbox prompts a file picker dialog to choose from. The result obtained in onActivityResult is something like

file:///storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/u6763728/scratch/Camera%20Uploads/2012-04-02%2012.34.44.jpg

The requesting app will not have read permission as its dropbox own private directory even with WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. In KitKat, it is recommended to use FileProvider to share a file via a content:// uri

26 Replies 26

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! I'm sending this along to the right people.

Michael G.89
New member | Level 1

Any update on this? I've run into the same issue.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Apologies, no update right now. I'll check in with the right people again.

Craig M.21
New member | Level 2

Has this been fixed recently? I did not run in to permission issues using the following code to initiate download...

Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_GET_CONTENT);

intent.setType("*/*");

startActivityForResult(intent, PICKFILE_RESULT_CODE );    

The uri returned in onActivityResult was this:

file:///storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/scratch/Kanji%20Sketch%20Pad/KanjiKnowledge.ks

Processing the data in onActivityResult required a bit of a workaround for Dropbox, which I'll mention in a separate thread, but my app read the file okay. Does the issue only appear under certain circumstances?

Craig M.21
New member | Level 2

I should add, I am using Android 5.0.2, device is HTCOne,

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Still no news on potentially using content:// instead yet, but I'll ask engineering if something changed about the existing behavior/any guidance.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your patience Craig. I heard back from engineering here with the following information:

• FLAG_GRANT_READ_URI_PERMISSION seems to have no effect.
  • On Android API level 18 (and presumably probably below), specifying READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE or WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE does not matter. The calling app is able to read the file irrespective of these settings.
  • On Android API level 19 and above, the calling app needs the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE or WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission to be able to read the data provided by us.

Also, on Android API level 19 and above caller will need to read the data using the ContentResolver#openInputStream(fileUri) method to be able to read the files. While on API level 18 and below directly creating the file object to read the file works.

Craig M.21
New member | Level 2

Thanks for that. I have not had any problems with reading the file. I am therefore unsure what the problem was that the other posters met.

I have read and write permissions set.

I initially used code like this (based on suggestions found online):

ParcelFileDescriptor mInputPFD = null ;
           try {
                mInputPFD = getContentResolver().openFileDescriptor(returnUri, "r");
           } catch (FileNotFoundException e) {
                e.printStackTrace();
                System.out.println("File not found...");
                return;
           }
if(mInputPFD!=null){
    fd = mInputPFD.getFileDescriptor();           
     FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(fd);
    //process the input stream
}

I tried the more direct method suggested above and it also worked:

FileInputStream fis = null ;
    try {
            fis = (FileInputStream) getContentResolver().openInputStream(returnUri);
    }
    catch (FileNotFoundException e1) {
             e1.printStackTrace();
             System.out.println("File not found...");            
             return ;
    }

//process the input stream

I am using targeted Android API 19.

Can I assume that the ContentResolver#openInputStream(fileUri) method will also work on API 18 and lower?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

openInputStream was added in API level 1 and is documented to support both content and file schemes, so it looks like it should work.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Chun Yeen M. New member | Level 2
    Andy H.31 New member | Level 1
    Anton S.7 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?