cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Icon missing Windows 10

Dropbox Icon missing Windows 10

Alex M.76
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I fired my laptop up a couple of days ago and I noticed that the dropbox icon in the taskbar was missing.  I checked task manager and dropbox is running theres just no icon and if I kill the task and double click on the dropbox exe it loads the app but does not show the Icon so I am unable to check my settings or anything else.  Oddly enough it is still working fine on my main desktop.

I have completely uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled a couple of times but there is no change to my issue. 

Also, when I launch the installer, after it has downloaded the dropbox files via the installer it doesn't actually launch the install process to let me input my user account or link my files but if I check task manager it shows that dropbox.exe is running.

I am somewhat confused, can anyone help?

I have checked my AV and no issues there but I would assume if it was something to do with AV it would stop the app from being loaded

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lori L.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I had this same (infuriating!) problem and fixed it thusly:

Right click on the systray area 

select Properties

then select Notification area > customize

At the top there is a link to "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"

Go in there and toggle whatever setting you see for your dropbox icon.

Exit out -- should be fixed.

In my case the dropbox icon was set to "on" and I toggled it off. After exiting the dialog, I had my dropbox icon back in the "show hidden icons" area. I repeated the above and toggled the dropbox icon back to "on" and now it is back in my systray where it belongs.

I hope this helps someone.

Lori

View solution in original post

Hoovey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Solution: as of Sep 15 2018, right click on taskbar in windows, select "Taskbar settings," and scroll down to section "Notification Area," and select "Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar." here you should see DROPBOX and can turn it on! 

View solution in original post

55 Replies 55

Kylde L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have exactly the same issue, no tray icon, no dropbox folder in quick-access, yet it's running in taskman. Win 7 Pro upgraded to Win 10 Pro

Albert George O
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I was recently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and my Dropbox icon dissappeared. How can I get it back? I need to be able to get into my Dropbox.

Jessie Y.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as above. I have been using dropbox for years untill this evening it pops up an error message about "permission", I have tried to follow the step in dropbox help page but not working, then I uninstalled and reinstalled dropbox for several times, during the installation process, it shows "installing..." for about 1 or 2 miuntes then it went off and the dropbox icon was not shown on the taskbar. Although i click on the icon shown on startup program, it seems not functioning at all! no starting, connecting or syncing as last time.

Pls help!

Andrea D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My dropbox icon is missing too. 

Morey W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I also recently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and my Dropbox icon disappeared. I can run Dropbox from shortcuts that I had created.  How can I get it back?

Michael F.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My dropbox icon is also missing.

dropbox.exe process is shown in taskmanager, but dropbox is not working at all.

What I found out: as soon my Window 10 machine became member of a domain (because I am logging in as domain member), dropbox stops working.

As local user dropbox works as expected.

Kylde L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

come on dropbox, this is an issue stretching back 3 months now, for multiple users, any solution ?

Morey W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I got it back!  In Windows 10, I went to Control Panel and uninstalled Dropbox. Then did an install and the icon is now on my tray.

Kylde L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@ Morey W Just tried that (again), no change, dropbox is running in taskman, no tray icon, sigh

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Ros L. Explorer | Level 4
    Leigh3 New member | Level 2
    faxhamil Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?