cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Error - Downloading files

Recent Error - Downloading files

Team F.1
Explorer | Level 4

We just started getting a bunch of these in the last 24 hrs. We have not changed our code in this regard. I'm curious what this means.

com.foreflight.ForeFlightException: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.DownloadErrorException: Exception in download: {".tag":"path","path":"not_found"}

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

A path/not_found error like this indicates that there was nothing found at the supplied path for the call. In this case, you tried to download a file from a path that doesn't currently have a file, e.g., the user deleted the file. 

Team F.1
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, is this something related as well?

com.dropbox.core.ServerException: {"error": "The server has either erred or is incapable of performing the requested operation."}

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, that error indicates a general server issue on our side. That should be relatively transient though, so you can have your app automatically retry a few times when encountering that. 

Team F.1
Explorer | Level 4

Is this still valid?
DbxEntry.File f = DbxClientV1.getFile(path, version, output)

My understanding is that DbxClientV1 should still work until mid-2017.

That's giving the message above:  "...incapable of performing the requested operation"

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That's correct, DbxClientV1 uses API v1, which should continue working until June 2017.

Are you getting that error consistently? If so, please open an API ticket with the app and user ID so we can look into it for you. Thanks in advance! 

Team F.1
Explorer | Level 4

Our code for that area hasn't changed in a while (months), and we just started logging this error 2 days ago. So I don't believe it's faulty paths. Ill open a ticket.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Ok, just to be clear though, you've mentioned two different and unrelated issues:

1. com.foreflight.ForeFlightException: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.DownloadErrorException: Exception in download: {".tag":"path","path":"not_found"}:

This indicates that there was nothing found at the path specified for the download API call. This can be expected to start occurring without a code change, e.g., if the user deletes a file via the web site, desktop client, etc. Your app should be prepared to handle this exception.

2. com.dropbox.core.ServerException: {"error": "The server has either erred or is incapable of performing the requested operation."}:

This would indicate an error on our side. It can be expected to happen sometimes temporarily, If this is happening consistently though, we'd need a ticket with more information to investigate.

Team F.1
Explorer | Level 4

I just added to the ticket but the root cause appears to be a problem with .lcPath (DbxEntry), we are seeing upper-case entries.

Let me know if the fix is Java client API or if its Dropbox Server side.

kmsbs
Explorer | Level 4
I have a same issue path not found,but i have file on dropbox.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    kmsbs Explorer | Level 4
    Team F.1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?