cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: If I delete photos from my camera folder on my phone will they stay in Dropfox Camera Uploads fo

If I delete photos from my camera folder on my phone will they stay in Dropfox Camera Uploads folder?

Peter T.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

I want to delete photos from my phone to get storage space back. If these have already been synced and in the camera uploads folder in my dropbox they would not get deleted by deleting them on my phone, correct?

22 Replies 22

danj
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am using the official dropbox app, and my photos pop back into my camera roll after I delete them.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

danj,

It won't be Dropbox doing that. It's simply not programmed to do that. The only way Dropbox would add a photo back is if you open the photo in the Dropbox app and choose to save it back to your phone.

If your photos reappear in your camera roll after you delete them, then it's likely another process that is doing it.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

ameliatwentytwo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Please can someone tell me how long Dropbox will keep uploaded files/photos for and if the original is deleted from the device it was uploaded from, will it be lost forever? I have uploaded a lot of photos from my phone onto my Dropbox account as my phone has very limited space left. Ideally I'd like to delete these now from my phone but am worried that they'll disappear.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
If you delete them from the camera roll/gallery on your device, they will not be deleted from Dropbox. If you delete them from the Dropbox app on your phone, they WILL be deleted from your Dropbox account.

DagT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for the information about the phone...I am in the same boat.  I have another related question.  If I have photos uploaded to DropBox and I delete them on my synced computer, will they be lost on DropBox?  I am still unsure about the "direction" that syncing goes.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Yes they will.

Dropbox syncs from computers in both directions. Think of it as a mirror - so what happens on one machine/device replicates to all others.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ian1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am confused by the two replies from the two 'Super Users', they directly conflict with one another! Are photos deleted, or not?

catwoman45
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am confused too!.. I have deleted lots of picture on my cameraroll on my iphone... But hopefully I will keep all the pictures in dropbox????

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I think a few posts have gone missing in between ours....

If you upload from a DROPBOX OFFICIAL application on a mobile to the cloud then delete from your phone they wont delete from cloud. If you use third party ones (including some which almost look identical to Dropbox ones - Samsung Connect for example) then you can find things are deleted.

If you upload via a computer using camera uploads (say) then it work as I said which is a mirror.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dimitri V.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
No they will not....
It doesn't work that way on a phone...

I can safely delete all pictures from my camera roll on my iphone and they still will al be there on my dropbox...

PC works differently than on a phone
Need more support?