cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer host images using Dropbox?

Can no longer host images using Dropbox?

GDGerlach344
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been hosting an image for my PayPal checkout banner using the Public folder but today it is no longer showing up on PayPal. I assume that's because the Public folders are no longer actually public. I tried moving the image file over to another folder and set the permissions to "anyone with the link" can view it. I copied the link but PayPal is rejecting it, probably because the file name ends with .jpg?dl=0 instead of simply .jpg. PayPal requires that the image be hosted on a secure server; that's why I had been using Dropbox to achieve this. What can I do to make it work again?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have a look at https://milanaryal.com/hosting-images-with-dropbox-on-your-website/ - however, please note that it is NOT guaranteed that it will work, Dropbox are removing lots of access to hosting images on third party sites.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey GDGerlach344 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here!  

Please note that all of your content on your public folder will remain safe in Dropbox, but will only be visible to you. If you would like to upload your picture on Paypal, you can download the .jpg image from the Public folder and then upload it again on your Paypal account.  

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you need more details about it.  

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

GDGerlach344
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jane, I don't think you understand my problem/question. You cannot upload images to PayPal. You have to store the banner image on a separate, secure server and then PayPal accesses the banner image from that server. I chose Dropbox to store/host my PayPal banner image because Dropbox uses a secure server. With this in mind, please re-read my original post and advise as to how I can use Dropbox to host images. Like I said in my original post, I used to be able to do that; now I cannot because of the changes Dropbox made to public folders. I am not alone. Lots of people use Dropbox to host images for the blogs, etc.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have a look at https://milanaryal.com/hosting-images-with-dropbox-on-your-website/ - however, please note that it is NOT guaranteed that it will work, Dropbox are removing lots of access to hosting images on third party sites.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

GDGerlach344
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Mark, That worked. Thanks!

sladdaren
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a lot of pictures from my dropbox account showing on my website. Is this the end of that now ?

Is there no way that i can get a public map again? and show my pictures from dropbox to my site ?

I looked at the link that write how to link to a 3th party..but all the files/pictures have a different adress now :(..So i need to change 1 gb of links on my site 😞 

This really sucks..I have been a member of dropbox since 2009..and all i built on my site is gone..No pictures showing anymore..

DuWayne
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The idea of

dl.dropboxusercontent.com trick broke on March 15, 2017 1:32 EST

It doens't work any more.
EXAMPLE: Current link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwyt8v55bhbj3vv/20150819-dropbox-logotype-blue.png?dl=0

Old Work Around was:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kwyt8v55bhbj3vv/20150819-dropbox-logotype-blue.png

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

sladdaren wrote:

I have a lot of pictures from my dropbox account showing on my website. Is this the end of that now ?

If you were using the Public folder, yes, but you can continue to use the Share Link feature to create links to your images for posting on other sites.

Is there no way that i can get a public map again? and show my pictures from dropbox to my site ?

No, the Public folder is dead now. You can continue to create links to your images but you have to use a Share Link. Follow the two help articles I posted above.

but all the files/pictures have a different adress now :(..So i need to change 1 gb of links on my site 😞

Unfortunately, yes, all links to files in the Public folder are dead now. Please keep in mind that the Public folder has been a deprecated feature for over four years. It was replaced by Share Links in October of 2012.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

DuWayne wrote:

Old Work Around was:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kwyt8v55bhbj3vv/20150819-dropbox-logotype-blue.png 

That was never the proper workaround. The correct way to do it, which still works just fine, is listed in the following help article:

Kasimir
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kasimir Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Tomiz New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?