cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSX doesn't save screenshots to Dropbox anymore

OSX doesn't save screenshots to Dropbox anymore

vinzlj
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey, 

I got a brand new MacbookPro and although I activated the Share screenshots via Dropbox option in the Import tab, screenshots are still saved under my Mac's Documents folder. 

Here's my config :

- Dropbox v26.4.24

- OSX 10.12.5 

Btw I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, didn't work either.
But I didn't remove the app settings (I'm not sure where they are located) and if it's relevant in this case. 

Any idea ? 

Thanks,

Vincent

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @DreClark, I’m assuming that you’re referring back to the steps I included in the first page of this conversation, is that right? Have you had a chance to check back on the tips Rich has included as well? If so, can you let us know of the results? 

Also, can you let me know whether you’re facing this issue across devices or it is specific to one computer? Please include as much detail as possible, so as to try to recreate the behavior on my end. 

Thanks for posting us your inquiry on this discussion & I’ll be awaiting your next post! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

ae1m
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

OK I found the problem.  Mojave has a new screenshot capability you get with SHIFT-COMMAND-5.  After typing SHIFT-COMMAND-5, select OPTIONS, then select "save to desktop" and then the Dropbox saving funtionality returned.

Bob

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey vinzlj

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, let’s see what we can do to resolve that!

As a first troubleshooting step, could you please make sure that you are running the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application on your MacBookPro and that there are no Symlinks interferring with Dropbox

Secondly, could you try disabling and re-enabling the Save screenshot to Dropbox” option once the upgrade is made? The steps are here: 

#1. Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the top right of your screen (Mac or Linux).
#2. Click the Gear icon.
#3. Click Preferences.
#4. Click Import.
#5. Check "Save screenshots to your personal Dropbox".

If you still experience the same behavior, just let me know in your reply, so that I follow-up on that!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

vinzlj
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey JaneA, 

Thanks for your quick answer but it still doesn't work. 

I downloaded the latest stable version here : https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-27-4-22/m-p/223538#M3980

Then I checked if I had Symlinks in my Dropbox folder but it's not the case.

I also re-applied the correct user's rights on the Dropbox folder just in case. 

Then I tried disabling and enabling the feature again and nothing happens. Still going to ~/Documents... 

Hope you can fix this soon 🙂

Regards, 

Vincent

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
It sounds like you have something else overriding your screenshots. macOS would, by default, save screenshots to your desktop. Dropbox obviously saves them to your Dropbox folder. If they're going to Documents, then it's likely that you have another application that has control of the screenshot functionality (or you've changed the save location in macOS).

Online B.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I got the same issue. Also updated to the latest version. Dropbox did stop syncing, keeps indexing. and no screenshots anymore.

The strange thing is it counts for my iMac and MBP.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
If your Dropbox has stopped syncing and is only indexing, then it's likely a different issue from what is described here. Please start a new question specific to your issue. Thank you.

WalterKemble
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

so glad we can edit our replies!! here to change "snot" to "not!!" LoL 

I don't have this problem ...the thread showed up in my email. I'll check what I'm subscribed to . But just so'd Y'all know...my issue is that on no page of dropbox is there the ubiqutous "gear" icon. I cannot access selective sync ...I specifically do NOT want dropbox automatically syncing anything. Anyway ...good luck with your screenshots ...I'm not sure what you're tryint to do or if your talking about the same type of screen shots I'm thinking of (screen capture) I use SnapZ Pro ..I bought it with my first Mac in 2007 xoxo 🙂 

Branden W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having this same problem but I am syncing. This happened after some automatic upgrade. Once I upgraded, it made me log in and set it up like I had never done it before. Now, screenshots are not moving to dropbox. I've reinstalled, rebooted, etc.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

WalterKemble wrote:

my issue is that on no page of dropbox is there the ubiqutous "gear" icon. I cannot access selective sync

You're looking in the wrong place. It's not on the Dropbox website. It's in the Dropbox application installed on your computer. Click the Dropbox icon that's in the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and the gear will be found in the upper right corner of the window that appears.

WalterKemble
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING what sytem tray is on a Mac. I wrote a post yesterday about the hours spent trying to find the illusive "gear icon"!! LoL ...got everything working tickey-boo 

cheers xoxo 🙂 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    MagicalSuitcase New member | Level 2
    ae1m Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?