cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Dropbox asks for a computer password upon each startup? (macOS HSierra, Mohave)

Why Dropbox asks for a computer password upon each startup? (macOS HSierra, Mohave)

Alexander M.29
Explorer | Level 4

Hello! 

Can someont please clarify why each time Dropbox App starts it askes for my computer login and password? Why does it even NEED my computer password? 

See the screeenshot in attach. It's in Russian, but it tells us to enter my computer login and password "for Dropbox app to fuction properly". While it functions properly even without it! Official support told me that "Dropbox app never asks for computer password" which made me even more suspicious.

Yes, I _AM_ aware of the former problem when Dropbox App just forgot to ask about "Accessibility Access". But I provided this access manually in Security preferences tab -> Accessibility an Dropbox App still asks for my computer password upon startup! Further more, if you DO provide this password - next time it will only ask for permission to "Accessibility"  instead of asking password again. I wonder where Dropbox App stores my very main password! 

Just WTF24412333.png

14 Replies 14

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Basically, the app needs this permission to automatically update itself, use the Badge, and Finder extensions along with some other features.

If this isn’t enabled, then you might miss out on these items.

As this is occurring each time you reboot, try re-installing the desktop app with admin permissions as per the following article.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AshleyB
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, 

I am having this issue constantly. I want to use it on an account that is not an administrator and that has parental control settings on. But every time we reboot, it still needs the dropbox administrator password. Any ideas?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi Ashley, it sounds like the issue is similar to this article

Are you able to make any changes from here that might help?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

AshleyB
Explorer | Level 4
Tried this. It still didn't like it.

Same message everytime.
Ashley

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Most likely then it’s the parental controls that are preventing the app from loading without requiring the administrator password.

If there’s a way to disable certain apps from being affected by the controls, you’ll need to check with Apple to see if this is possible.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

cob24
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

I installed the Dropbox app for Mac OS few days ago. Since then, every time I start Mac OS a prompt appears asking for the root password for Dropbox to work properly. Why is the root password required for Dropbox to work properly? And how can I avoid it from asking everytime I start my computer?

Thanks.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @cob24,

I've merged your post here as it seems that you're having the same issue. Can you please check Jay's reply here and let me know if reinstalling with admin permissions does the trick for you.

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cob24
Explorer | Level 3

Hello! Thanks for your fast answer.

I have tried to uninstall an reinstall the app again and then I have tried what is in Jay's answer, that is, opening the setings app, clicking on users and groups, then login items and removing dropbox from there to readd it again later. Sadly this did not work out. I keeps prompting every time I open the app.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for trying that @cob24!

Would you mind if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile? We'll be able to look at more account specific info through our Support channel.

If you already have a ticket open with our team for this, then please let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) so I can follow up there.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JamesRothschild Explorer | Level 3
    Alexander M.29 Explorer | Level 4
    vmitchell New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    cob24 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?