cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Move the Dropbox Folder to Ext4 or NTFS partition

Can't Move the Dropbox Folder to Ext4 or NTFS partition

jonnyA1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. In response to the change in dropbox file system support, I created a new partition on my hard drive to store my dropbox files in. It's 2 GB larger than my maximum dropbox space.

My main partitions are all Ext4, but my home partition is encrypted which apparently doesn't work. This new partition was made without any obvious encryption option.

Trying to move the dropbox folder, using dropbox > preferences > sync > dropbox folder location, and selecting a folder on my new partition returns a system incompatability error (see screenshot)

I reformatted the partition to NTFS, but dropbox refuses to move the folder, with the same vague error. I looked through the circuitous FAQs this error links to, as far as I can see there's no other special circumstances to my setup.  I'm just a guy using linux who doesn't want to reinstall his entire OS, and is about ready to cancel his dropbox subscirption.

Screenshot from 2018-10-18 17-00-10.pngScreenshot from 2018-10-18 17-03-19.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jmzama
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Take a look at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/Ubuntu-16-04-Error-moving-files-to-new-ext4-location/...

Basically, use a subfolder of the new ext4 partition as target for dropbox. It worked for me.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, could I ask why you switched the drive to NTFS, while you’re on Linux?

Was that drive originally EXT4 before you did the move, and it was still unable to move?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jonnyA1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry, yes. The new partition was originally created as Ext4. I also tried reformatting it to Fat32 before I realized that's unsupported. Finally I tried NTFS, but I got the same error when trying to move the dropbox folder each time.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If moving the folder isn’t working, try doing an advanced reinstall, but this time during the installation choose the advanced settings and choose the EXT4-formatted drive you want the folder to reside on.

Then, you can pause syncing immediately, and copy the files over from the old folder to the new folder.

You can see similar steps in this article when moving files to a new computer.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jonnyA1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I tried the advanced reinstall, but based on the instructions in that article it's more of an advanced uninstall. There was no point in the installation process where I could choose where the app installs or the dropbox locaiton. After installation, the instructions say to use the move folder feature in dropbox, and I get the same error.

jmzama
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Take a look at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/Ubuntu-16-04-Error-moving-files-to-new-ext4-location/...

Basically, use a subfolder of the new ext4 partition as target for dropbox. It worked for me.

jonnyA1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yeah wow, that actually did work. Files successfully moved to media/username/DropboxPartition/Data/Dropbox

Not super elegant, but at least it's working. Thank you!

Krasimir S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm using Kubuntu 18.04.

I have ext4 partition, mounted on /media/dropbox and a symlink (for convenience) to it at: /home/$USER/Dropbox (my home & root partition is also ext4).

Until today, dropbox was set up to sync in /home/$USER/Dropbox.
Now it says I should move it to a supported location.
I tried setting it up to sync directly in the /media/dropbox ext4 partition, but it still refuses, and says this is unsupported location.
The filesystems ARE ext4 and HAVE extended attributes enabled.

Mounting the dropbox partition directly in /home/$USER/Dropbox (instead of using simlink) results in the same error.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Krasimir S., thanks a lot for your detailed description! I’ve moved your post into this conversation, in order to ping you to the answer that did the trick for some users. That said, it’s worth mentioning that don't generally support the use of Symlinks due to the issues that can arise when they are added to Dropbox.

Additionally, please bear in mind that we currently only support Ubuntu 14.04 or higher and Fedora 21 or higher. If your device does not meet these requirements, you are still able to use the Dropbox desktop application however your results may vary. 

Hopefully these pointers are- evern slightly- helpful to you!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Krasimir S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Kubuntu = Ubuntu, just different desktop environment. Install KDE on Ubuntu, and you have Kubuntu...
Also, about the symlink - it was NOT inside dropbox, and it was not the cause for the bug - the result was the same without it.
It was a symlink to the dropbox directory, and I don't see why dropbox would have anything against it - it does not break anything, and it's a standard feature that has been working for, like, decades in unix/linux.
This is definitely a bug - I don't have any other types of partitions except ext4, and yet, dropbox throws an error and refuses to sync).
The proposed "solution", while maybe working, is just a workaround (and not very elegant one).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

yago76 New member | Level 2
    Krasimir S. New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?