cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Move the Dropbox Folder to Ext4 or NTFS partition

Can't Move the Dropbox Folder to Ext4 or NTFS partition

jonnyA1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. In response to the change in dropbox file system support, I created a new partition on my hard drive to store my dropbox files in. It's 2 GB larger than my maximum dropbox space.

My main partitions are all Ext4, but my home partition is encrypted which apparently doesn't work. This new partition was made without any obvious encryption option.

Trying to move the dropbox folder, using dropbox > preferences > sync > dropbox folder location, and selecting a folder on my new partition returns a system incompatability error (see screenshot)

I reformatted the partition to NTFS, but dropbox refuses to move the folder, with the same vague error. I looked through the circuitous FAQs this error links to, as far as I can see there's no other special circumstances to my setup.  I'm just a guy using linux who doesn't want to reinstall his entire OS, and is about ready to cancel his dropbox subscirption.

Screenshot from 2018-10-18 17-00-10.pngScreenshot from 2018-10-18 17-03-19.png

11 Replies 11

yago76
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same configuration. I'm using a dual-boot PC with linuxmint and windows 10. I have a data partition that is NTFS to share between Linux and Windows. The dropbox folder is in the NTFS partition so it can be shared between linux and windows.

Now I cannot move the dropbox folder to the NTFS partition when working on linux OS.

yago76
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm using LinuxMint 17.3. After installing the app using

sudo apt-get install dropbox
(or from the .deb downloaded from Dropbox), I tried the solution in this forum
https://superuser.com/questions/575550/how-do-i-change-the-dropbox-directory-on-a-headless-gnu-linux...

I only changed the path and the .py like this:

HOME=/media/familia/DropboxDrive dropbox start -i

Where "familia" is my user name, and DropboxDrive is an NTFS partition I created in Windows (I have dual Boot). I think it would work even ir the partiton is created using "Disks" utility from LinuxMint or Ubuntu.

I had to do that so Dropbox does not sync my folders inside my HOME folder by default. This way it starts syncing in the path I want to.

Need more support?