cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SmartSync - Windows Search does not find online files, by name

Smart Sync - Windows Explorer Search Not Working

bwhight
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am testing Smart Sync for our team.  All fine but when files are 'Online Only', Windows Explorer search can't fined them.  I have tried a few PCs in our team and all have the same problem, so I dont think it is an individual PC issue.  We are all running Windows 10.  Any ideas?

55 Replies 55

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As mentioned before, we have received positive feedback from users stating that search is working for online-only folders, but we're also aware of the reports here about it still not functioning on file search.

We'll make changes that we believe will address this within the next few weeks, so please make sure you update your Dropbox desktop application and keep trying.

If this issue is still persisting for you around the end of January, please let us know more details about it here since, by then, we believe this would have been fixed.

Thanks for using Dropbox, and for your reports that are leading to product improvements.

Positive vibe!

kashmir8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sometimes Windows 10 users face an error when Windows 10 Search Not Working and this is the very frustrating situation for the users and they want to fix that issue as soon as possible. A site https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-search-not-working/ helped me to acknowledge some solutions to fix this error. Here are some possible solution of this issue.

1- Restart your Windows 10: Simply restart your Windows 10. I mean just restart your PC when your Search Not Working. Most of the times just restarting the system fix this issue.

2- Check Windows Search service: Write services.msc and Enter OK > Click on Windows Search service > Click on Properties to configure startup type > click Automatic and then click Start > Click Apply and then OK > Restart your PC.

3- Turn off Cortana and Search: Go to the Task Manager > Click More details > Under Processes tab > select process named Cortana > Right click on Cortana > click End task > Right click on Search > click End task

localonly
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When smart-sync'ed we can search and find folders in Windows 10, but filenames are not being returned.

We are getting no results for (confirmed that they exist) filenames.

Making files Local allows them to show up in search results.

Is this the expected behaviour for smart-sync - only able to search for folder names, and not file names?

my_name_is_
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, I have a new W10/64 PC where explorer cannot index any 'Smart Sync' files that I have not yet opened.  I can find Dropbox files that I have opened only. I can find everything in my local filesystem just fine.  I have rebuilt the search index in windows without success.  I have reinstalled Dropbox to the latest version, also without success.  This is a problem for me at my new job, where I cannot always guess where to find the files I need.  My colleagues are not having this problem; however, I cannot confirm 100% as they are certainly searching for files they have already opened when I am asking.

In case it matters: the PC is an IBM ThinkPad X280

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We recently started rolling out a new beta that we believe will improve the behavior of searching for online-only files on Windows.

Feel free to install it from here, and let us know if this is the case for you.

As mentioned before, this will also be rolled out in a stable version soon.

Thanks to everyone that reported this again!

Positive vibe!

SteveWeston
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It works! It finally works!!  Thank you

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Need more support?