cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync Online Only Files still using disc space

Smart Sync Online Only Files still using disc space

nsbcmedia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am using smart sync on multiple Macs, one running macos 10.12.6 and the other running macos 10.14, they both are showing my hard disks are almost full even though the majority of the files are set to online only. When I choose Get Info I show a size of 687GB (38 GB on disk) for 60,699 items. So though it should only be 38GB on disk my OS's are reading it as 687GB on disk. I've tried reinstalling and since its happening on two different machines with two different versions of OS, one with APFS and one without, it appears to be a dropbox issue and not a machine issue. A quick glance at the forums shows that this has been a common occurance. Any suggestions?

22 Replies 22

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Okay, I was under the impression you reached out to Apple directly since I referred to them in my reply.

Keep me posted with any updates.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ridgeway
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Did not mean to hijack this thread, but Apple actually replaced my whole logic board earlier this year (fully specced out late 2016 MBPtouchbar), and after the issue started coming up again just days after loading it on, discovered Dropbox sync was the issue with the kernal panics. However, I believe Dropbox and Apple pushed a fix for that issue. Still though, since then (as I'm getting close to being out of extened warranty) I have not reset/deleted whole dropbox directory after it stabalized. 

Now, something I would consider (as I've helped other companies get setup with Dropbox Business) is getting the option to update to the new file system. It makes explaining how things work SO much better... and it's generally just better. Would even condsider moving everything to an on-prem server if the issue is that we're on legacy. Further, it would likely solve the issues I'm having.

Fabio L.
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

Just notice the same odd behaviour on my mac 11.13.6. Dropbox folder information states that the folder is 114 GB full, whereas the disk space occupied is around 10 GB (which should be the real space occupied since I have many folders into the smart sync).

screen.jpg

Need more support?