cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to sign into desktop app on Ubuntu

Unable to sign into desktop app on Ubuntu

richardjconrad
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
On Ubuntu 16.04, I installed dropbox using the .deb downloaded from the website. It went on to install the daemon and started. The problem is that I can't sign in. Instead of giving me the login screen, it simply opens a blank window of my browser. Any ideas why I might be seeing this? Could I be missing dependencies or have file permissions wrong? Is there an alternate way to connect the desktop app to my account? Thanks!
11 Replies 11

Vicon
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ginobean's answer works for me. Just setting Firefox as the default browser so that the sign-in redirect goes to the correct page. I did not uninstall and re-install Dropbox. Ubuntu 14.04 here, Dropbox installed using .deb file via GUI.  

tgr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For a better solution see https://askubuntu.com/questions/689449/external-links-are-opened-as-blank-tabs-in-new-browser-window... (the Chrome launcher needs to be fixed)

Need more support?