cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync error - "There was an error opening this document"

Smart Sync error - "There was an error opening this document"

awitzburg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can access files on dropbox website, however on all computers utilizing smartsync, every time you try and open a file from the dropbox folder, it says "There was an error opening this doucment. The file cannot be accessed by the system."

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling dropbox and the same issue persisted. Same issue accross all computers in my office. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

peterlvilim
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everyone! Thank you for raising this issue. We believe that we have identified and fixed the root cause.

You can find a new stable build that addresses this issue here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-63-4-107/m-p/317555#M5151

Desktop clients will also be auto-updating to the fixed build.

View solution in original post

54 Replies 54

cwestland
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. Not sure what is going on...

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, thanks for this info. 

Could you both try forcing the file to go local first from the context menu instead of opening it directly?

A screenshot of the error message would help as well!

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

deltat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here, tested on two computers.  Smart sync folders cannot open any documents.  Windows 10 Professional w/ latest updates and patches.

cwestland
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

when i right click it and go to sync and click local it appears. we have not had this issue before

deltat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Forcing the folder local allows the file to be opened w/o issue.  Smart Sync folders on two tested PC's in my office cannot open any of the files.

cwestland
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

all employees using dropbox on their pcs are having this issue in our office and I have not changed any  of the admin settings since day one.

scourtney
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same for us. Marking it as "local" works, but I don't want my users to have to do that for the dozens of files they touch every day. Happening on Windows 7 and 10 with latest updates and latest version of Dropbox app. Also tried reinstalls and it did not fix this.

Interestingly, our mac users are just fine. No issue at all.

awitzburg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Forcing the file local does work, but definitely don't want to do that on all these files.  

austinjonescorp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Exact same issue, same workaround.  Happening to one employee after Windows 10 updated this morning.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DavidENG Explorer | Level 3
    Alexis G.1 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?