cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clearing Dropbox cache on iPhone

How to clear the Dropbox mobile app cache on iPhone/iPad?

Marcus D.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Using an iPhone 5C running iOS 9.1 and Dropbox 4.0.4. The iOS Dropbox app itself is only 55.8 MB in size, however my iPhone is reporting that Dropbox is using a total of 300+ MB in Documents and Data. I have zero files marked as "Offline" within the Dropbox app, so the app should not be storing any Documents or Data locally on my iPhone.

I realize the Documents and Data referenced are most likely the result of recent files being cached by the app, but if this is the case, is there any way to manually clear that cache? Or set a limit of cache size? Currently, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is the only solution I've found, which is far from what I'd consider a "solution". I have to uninstall the app, reinstall it, sign in, wait for 2-factor auth code to enter, set up my Passcode again, set up the Camera Upload again...just a horrible overall process just to clear out the cache.

There are other apps which allow you to either set a cache size, or some that include an option to manually clear the cache. Either one of these options would be better than nothing at all.

107 Replies 107

Louise22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Check your memory before clearing cache and after by going to settings general

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Herma, thanks for updating us on the matter! 

If you’d like, let us know in your next post here how you were able to resolve your concern or mark as a solution the post that did the trick. :sunglasses:

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Herma
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That's the (stupid) question! How can i mark the post that gave the solution to my problem! 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Herma, thanks for your swift reply! If already logged into the Forum, at the end of each post, you should see the following:

Screenshot 2018-05-28 at 4.54.47 PM.png

When you find the post that's the solution to your concern, just click on the green "Accept as Solution". Hope this helps! :upside_down:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Herma
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hmmmm, that's strange! I don't see that option. Do i have the wrong glasses......:sunglasses:?

seSchermafdruk 2018-05-29 13.24.12.pnge my print screen.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Herma, thanks for getting back to me on this! I can see that you aren’t able to check the “Accept as Solution” from the attached screenshot - so if you’re seeing the wrong image, then I have the wrong glasses on too. :laughing: 

Could you try switching browsers & see if that makes a difference? If that doesn’t work, try using incognito/private browsing mode, & check that you’re not running with any extensions.

Let me know how it works out for you. Cheers! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

RamS57
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just tried this and found out that clearing the cache in the app and restarting the iPhone does not solve the problem. Te app is still not freeing up unused memory. I have zero offline files in dropbox app and yet the app is still using 467MB of my phone memory.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, @RamS57

Have you also tried signing out and back into the mobile app after clearing the cache?

If that doesn’t work, how about a reinstallation of the app? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?