cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Gear icon

Where is the gear icon on my Dropbox desktop app?

Lynda C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Anyone know where to find the gear icon on Dropbox?

62 Replies 62

ChristineL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Try going to "Account". The gear is top left

semblancere
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked for me, thank you!!

glitalien
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can't see the gear icon when I open the dropbox app on my desktop to be able to selectively sync. How can I find it? I only see my files

glitalien
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I open my app, I only see my files, no icons or menus with preferences! help

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @glitalien,

So you should see a small Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray near the time display on your screen. If you click on this icon you will see the small window where the gear icon will be in the top left.

It sounds as though you may be clicking the shortcut which directs you to you Dropbox folder which is why you only see your files. If you do not see the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray, then you can launch the app by:

Windows: Press the Start key, search for “Dropbox desktop application”
Mac: From the Applications menu, choose “Dropbox desktop application”

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SummerSpencer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

2019 update - to get to preferences, for me it was selective sync, things have changed. Now,

1) You need to click on the 'hidden icons' arrow at the bottom, like the screen shot

2)Click on the dropbox icon once and this opens a new pop-up window 

3) In that pop-up window, you have to click on your account profile (three vertical dots) in the upper right corner

4)Click on preferences

5) Click on "Sync"

6) Click on "Selective Sync"

I am tied into my school's shared Dropbox. But within a week, I was getting notices from Dropbox that I needed to pay for upgraded space. This is because every single grade level was syncing to my personal account, when I was only concerned with one. My guess, as a cynic, would be that this feature is well hidden so people get frustrated enough to purchase the upgraded storage from Dropbox. It should be accessible when I log into my DB account. Not burried through a hidden icon, 5 levels deep.

gr5959
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That did not help me. The gear box is still not visible. I would like to add a screenshot but  screenshots only land in Windows 10 clipboard and are rejected because of lack of space. GR

Spring-Sun
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

that still didn't help me

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.39.29 AM.png

Spring-Sun
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am using MacBook Pro 10.15.3

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.43.10 AM.png

please help me find it.

Thx

ChristineL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Lynda

The gear icon doesn't seem to be where it was. In stead try clicking on the Dropbox icon on the very bottom right of your screen, then click on the downward arrow to the right of your photo, You can then pause syncing etc.

Hope this helps

Christine

Need more support?