cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Maximum download and upload speeds

Maximum download and upload speeds

chrismo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm setting up a new computer and syncing my dropbox business account to it. The internet connection is great on fiber optic cable (1500MB/s) but my download speeds on dropbox are about 24MB/sec

What is the maximum anyone else is getting? 

How can I improve this?

35 Replies 35

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

What I'm telling you, "mate," is that you need to understand what that speed is referring to, and not just compare it to a transfer speed you get from another service that doesn't do the same chunking of files that Dropbox has to do before transferring anything.

I'm not saying Dropbox is faster or even as fast as other services. I am saying, understand how the service works and what the numbers represent before attempting to compare the speeds to other services.

chrismo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
As a business user in the video industry, I'm dealing with 100 GB transfers and quick turn around times so I am comparing it to other services. Dropbox suits our needs and is part of our workflow, but I would like to optimize our speeds, because there are cases when I need to use other services because dropbox is so much slower. It breaks our workflow, when we use another transfer method. It doesn't matter to us WHY it's slower. With Gigabit connections getting so common, people are expecting more.

u_kadru
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@chrismo

I agree with your observations. For me, Dropbox service is slower than others. I get around 3500kB/s (30 Mbps) upload and 7000-8000 kB/s (50-60 Mbps) download. I'm on 400/150 Mbps fiber and  waiting for upload to complete is killing me.

Sometimes I have to use Onedrive to quickly upload material for the clients as Onedrive totally maxes out my connection. Dropbox takes several times longer to complete the upload comparing to Onedrive. 

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Rich always seems angry? Are you angry mate? P.S. Mate is normal lingo in some places, not worthy of cynical quotations.

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

becoming less happy with the service as of late.   First the symlink change which they could have at least made an option instead of screwing the masses.

now I finally circumvent that by literally shooting my large files to another pc and installing dropbox there in order to get them uploaded, and turns out im uploading at 3000kbps.........

this is on symmetrical gigabit fiber.  if this is what its like with the "no limit" box checked, i can only imagine at the alternative lol.

for whatever reason i am able to double to triple it 7-12000kbps if i connect to a vpn.

either way abysmally slow

u_kadru
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

What operating system are you using? I used Dropbox on two different Win 7 machines and I never got upload more than 3500 kbps. When I installed Win 10 on one of the machines, Dropbox is suddenly capable of maxing out my 400/150 Mbps connection. I think something is wrong with their Win 7 application.

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

im on win10 on all my machines at this point.  just checked again, 13kbps.   leaves a whole lotta meat on the bone considering i can run a speedtest right now and get like 960mbit up 😞

like most with this type of connection, upload was my entire motive for changing from cable to fiber.  shame it falls short in areas like this for whatever reason.

pravesh_b
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey! I also had the same issue with dropbox and just a few days back they solved my problem. Use the link below and download this version.

But before installing this disconnect your dropbox connection and then uninstall it. Then restart your pc and install the newer version using this link

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=89.3.272&plat=win&type=full

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

will give it a shot, thanks for the reply!

One800J
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Nope.  You're all wrong.  WRONG I say!  😉     Dropbox is capping bandwidth ever since everyone started working from home.  20MB up, 40MBps down.   I was getting 100-110MBps both ways, anytime, always consistant.  Now... it sucks.  Moving on to another company.

Done.

Need more support?