cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Missing files after folder renaming.

Missing files after folder renaming.

HollisHoHo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Working on a brief that is due tomorrow.  Time is of the essence.  I changed the names of many files & folders containing court forms.  Very tedious but had to be done.  When I finished & now ready to work on those forms: THEY'RE ALL GONE!  What?  1000s of court forms--simply disappeared.  I finally stumbled online & figured out that, according to Dropbox, I deleted those folders & files.  No way could I have accidently deleted so many files & folders!  So, instead of working on my brief that is due tomorrow, I then had to figure out how to restore 1000s of files to my computer--still not sure I did it right--the interface was not overly user friendly--& wasted too many precious hours in the process--including writing this message.  Just now, I finally got back to real work--I renamed a folder & AGAIN, it disappeared!!  WTF?  I do NOT want any fancy new features; I don't have time to figure out what local, online or smart sync means nor do I care.  I just want everything to work like it always did.  I cannot be wasting time being hijacked by features I didn't ask for nor do I want.  I don't want a new learning curve.   Don't ruin a good thing.  The simplicity & reliability of Dropbox were its best features.   Add all the new features you want but give us the option about whether or not we want those new features.  I feel like the victim of a bait & switch. 

15 Replies 15

cammcm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I changed a folder name and every file within every folder of the root folder has disappeared.... the folders are all still there but the files are gone. I've checked deleted files   and they've not been deleted  (not that I could delete that many anyway) but I just can't find them

Elizabeth9190
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same happened here and not only did I lose the files, but they never showed up under my "deleted" files so i could not restore them. Thank goodness it was a shared folder and i was able to delete the entire folder and have my friend re-share it with me. But that isnt really a solution now is it? I had a long back and forth with more than one support person and NOT one of them could tell me where my files went, why they disappeared, or how to get them back. Im sorry, but that is crap. I shouldnt have to worry about losing important documents that took DAYS to create simply because I needed to rename them!

Ailime1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem. Please advice. It would also save time if you could publish the solution. 

Thanks, 

Emilia 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear you're also having this issue and that this had to be your first post in our Community!

Nevertheless, it's always nice to see new faces around so welcome aboard! 

Moving on to your concern now, just to make sure we're on the same page, could you provide some additional information on what seems to be bothering you exactly?

Can you see/find the files from the now renamed folder in your account on our website?

If not, can you take a look at your events page and let me know what you find there in regards to the actions you took on your files? This might point you towards the right direction.

In any case, please keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Glenville
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having a similar issue - i have lost all my financial records for 2019...  I got a new PC about 6 months ago, and when setting it up, all the files from my old PC were copied over.  What I did not realise what that my folder called Dropbox was not syncing with my online version.  Only now as I was looking for the files online did I realise that I had not installed Dropbox Desktop on the PC.  I installed it and was prompted that as there was already a Dropbox folder on my PC, it could _rename_ it and install a new Dropbox folder.  This is the option I chose, but when the install finished, it had _replaced_ it.  I cannot find any renamed folder on my PC and it is not in my recycle bin.  What should the _renamed_ folder be called and where should I find it??  I really dont look forward to doing my taxes without these files...

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Glenville; how are you today?

I was wondering if you're still having issues with or you managed to resolve this somehow so please let me know here and we'll take it from there. 

Note that the old Dropbox folder should have been renamed to Dropbox (Old) and a new one must have been created at the time you relinked your account on the desktop app on this computer. 

In any case, please keep me posted. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?